Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-16-2011

neoxaero is on a distinguished road
Trailer Sailor - Mast Step

The mast step on my boat is bent pretty badly due to a slight mast raising incident. Its a pretty simple design (See attachment) but I would like to beef this thing up a bit so easily and holds the mast a bit more securely when I'm putting it up.

The one thats on there is a bit to wide, so the next one will be about 3/8" smaller giving me roughly 1/8" of play when putting the mast in place.

My assumption is that there are probably better designs out there for mast steps that would help make it easier to put this thing up and down without any assistance.

I've attached a 3d rendering of basically what is currently on the boat.

Anyone have any ideas/changes that could be made to assist with mast raising?
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer Sailor - Mast Step-mast-step.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
My thoughts on this:

1. There shouldn't be any "play" in the mast step - the mast should fit snugly between the cheeks.

2. Why the slots? There should be a single bolt running through the side holes and a wing-nut (preferably) on the other side.

3. The bolt-holes should be at the aft-most end of the cheeks, so that the mast step can open up like a hinge for lowering.

4. The cheeks and base need to be beefed up A LOT from what you've shown - I'd suggest making the entire thing out of cast aluminium.

Do you have any pics of your current set-up - including your mast base - that you could post here? What kind of boat is this for??

Last edited by Classic30; 10-16-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-16-2011

neoxaero is on a distinguished road
When the mast is laying down the bolt is at the top of the slot, when you stand the mast up, it is in the bottom of the slot.

The current one is made out of 1/8" stainless. From the pictures I've managed to find it looks lke this is the way the factory had it setup as well.

The more I've thought about it I think I'm just going to stick with this design since it works and just beef it up a bit with some thicker stainless.
Old 10-16-2011

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Where did it bend? I'd bet that the flat portion against the deck is what bent the most. One of the problems here is that with lever as long as your mast there is almost no limit to how much force you can apply. So SOMETHING is going to break! Now what would you prefer to break? The end of the end of the mast? The deck? Or the easily repaired/replaced deck step? For my money I would prefer it was the step. So maybe you need to reconsider your mast raising lowering technique, and work on making that more bulletproof.
My boat is an Etap 26 with a 37 foot mast that weighs about 100 lbs. I took it down by myself, and will be putting it back up by myself too. I have an A frame made from 2X4s lashed to the toe rails with ratchet binders, and a cable from the top to the bow stem fitting. A worm gear hoist attached to the top of the A frame pulls the mast up using a sling thrown over the spreaders. Excellent control up and down.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 10-16-2011

decktosser is on a distinguished road
Thislooks like the mast step for a Catalina. If so. Go to Catalina Direct.com and see the nice stainless steel steps with holes for blocks
Old 10-16-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoxaero View Post
The current one is made out of 1/8" stainless. From the pictures I've managed to find it looks lke this is the way the factory had it setup as well.

The more I've thought about it I think I'm just going to stick with this design since it works and just beef it up a bit with some thicker stainless.
If it helps, the one on our Hartley 18 was 1/4" cast alloy. I'd think that 1/8" stainless was far too thin for any TS larger than around 16'...
Old 10-16-2011

dnf777 is on a distinguished road
Ditto what Gary said. While I like re-engineering things to be stronger, sometimes you want a sacrificial link in a system to protect it from much more involved and costly repairs, ie the deck.
Old 10-18-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Ditto about raising technique. There should be some way to limit the amount of lateral movement as you raise the mast. On my C22, the aft-lower shrouds and sidestays kept the mast from moving much AFTER it was about half way up. While mast was lower, they didn't provide much lateral support. I agree with just beefing it up. If you are going to build a new one, you could also add a tang so you can attach a vang directly, or reefing line, or whatever.
Old 10-18-2011

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Neo,

This is my tabernacle. It allows me to slide the base of the mast into place without messing with a pin or bolt. It's made of 3/8" thick aluminum but 1/4 would work fine. My previous was similar to yours, made of 12GA SS and got bent pretty badly when the "experts" at the marina stepped it for us. My wife and I can step a mast in 10 minutes or less.
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer Sailor - Mast Step-tabernacle.jpg  
Old 10-18-2011
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road
Fine tune your mast raising abilities this should never happen in the right conditions. Don;t beef it up just replace it and get it right,,, good luck

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.