Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tommays

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011
GreatKetch33

Deric is on a distinguished road
Question Ronstan Repair Shop for old gear?

Hello Mates,

I have an old Ronstan car that looks like the new Ronstan car#11922; however, my old must be larger because the track is wider than the tracks available by the company.

I am hoping that I can find a shop that can replace the bearings and the end caps, which hold the bearings in the car, or buy one that is used car rather than having to redo the entire car track and car.

When I needed repair on a Schaeffer block, I sent the block to Schaeffer for repair. I had hoped Ronstan would do the same. I have sent email to Ronstan and have not received a reply. I have contacted a dealer of Ronstan who told me it can't be repaired, and that I needed to buy an entire new system -- replace car track fill holes, redrill new holes, buy brand new car -- kaching, kaching, kaching.

One would think there are parts about, or left over parts sitting in a warehouse. Hard to believe that there are no bearings or plastic caps to be had.

I ask my fellow sailors for opinions and advice.

What say ye?

(picture of car and measurement of track)

The track and car are fastened to a half wishbone boom and is used for the outhaul and reefing adjustments. The boat is a Herreshoff Cat Ketch.

Thank you for your help.

Deric
Attached Thumbnails
Ronstan Repair Shop for old gear?-photo-24-.jpg   Ronstan Repair Shop for old gear?-photo-25-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2011

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
A couple of years ago I had a similar car explode and I managed to find a compatible unit that fitted the existing track. Some of these units can sit at the shops for years before they sell so I would scout around a few Chandlery shops. I would also look at other brands which may fit the existing track.

Good luck Ilenart
Old 10-18-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deric View Post
Hello Mates,

I have an old Ronstan car that looks like the new Ronstan car#11922; however, my old must be larger because the track is wider than the tracks available by the company.

I am hoping that I can find a shop that can replace the bearings and the end caps, which hold the bearings in the car, or buy one that is used car rather than having to redo the entire car track and car.

When I needed repair on a Schaeffer block, I sent the block to Schaeffer for repair. I had hoped Ronstan would do the same. I have sent email to Ronstan and have not received a reply. I have contacted a dealer of Ronstan who told me it can't be repaired, and that I needed to buy an entire new system -- replace car track fill holes, redrill new holes, buy brand new car -- kaching, kaching, kaching.

One would think there are parts about, or left over parts sitting in a warehouse. Hard to believe that there are no bearings or plastic caps to be had.

I ask my fellow sailors for opinions and advice.

What say ye?

(picture of car and measurement of track)

The track and car are fastened to a half wishbone boom and is used for the outhaul and reefing adjustments. The boat is a Herreshoff Cat Ketch.

Thank you for your help. Deric
Find an industrial bearing supply house in your area. They can supply an incredible number of obscure bearing related items. I presume your car has ball bearings? If so or even if they are rollers or something else, there are only so many sizes they could be. Any decent bearing supplier will have them all or can get them in a number of materials. I imagine you will need Delrin balls but that's just an educated guess.

The end caps are a different story - they are almost certainly proprietary but they can usually be replaced with something else for little $$ with a bit of imagination and / or creativity. Considering the probable several $hundred cost of a replacement, I'd be tempted to investigate your repair options first.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-03-2011
GreatKetch33

Found Bearings

I was able to locate replacement bearings. A company called Sailrite had them.

The bearings are .25 of an inch made by Tarlon.

Ronstan sent me a reply to my email. They said that I may be able to use a newer car without having to replace the track.

I am researching end cap options for my car.

Update forthcoming.
Old 11-03-2011

jay grant is on a distinguished road
Puzzled

Tapped the attachment clip and two blank boxes poped up. What gives?
Old 11-03-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deric View Post
I was able to locate replacement bearings. A company called Sailrite had them.

The bearings are .25 of an inch made by Tarlon.

Ronstan sent me a reply to my email. They said that I may be able to use a newer car without having to replace the track.

I am researching end cap options for my car.

Update forthcoming.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that they are MADE OF Torlon, a type of hard plastic similar to Delrin and used for non-lubricated bearings, not by a company named Tarlon.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-03-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
Mcmaster is generally the cheep source for plastic balls of all types as i have replaced a bunch of balls on Lewmar blocks

There are about 200 balls in a double block and shaving gel does a good job of holding the balls still
SloopJonB likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-26-2011
GreatKetch33

Update on Car Repair

I had posted this topic when I was looking for bearings and plastic end caps for a traveler car that is fastened to the half wishbone boom on my boat.

During that month of the post, the only solution appeared to be to replace the car with a new one at 350 bucks. Instead, I purchased the bearings from Sailrite and I discovered a company, Smooth-On, that had materials to allow one to create a mold and materials to make a cast (replica) of the end cap.

I created a mold from an undamaged end cap. I poured a cast. The process was simply so I created several spare end caps.

I share this solution because it served me well. I saved more than 325 bucks, learned a new skill. and afforded myself with many spare parts for future maintenance.

Lastly, I do not work for Sailrite not Smooth-On. I only share the company names as a matter of reference.

Thank you contributors for your suggestions and advice.

Best,
Deric

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.