Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-18-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
fiberglass epoxy corners

I've got some inside corners in a boat that the plans called for reinforcing with fiberglass tape and thickened epoxy.
The process is actually pretty easy.
1. Coat both pieces of plywood with neet epoxy.
2. Lay bead of thickened epoxy in the corner to make a fillet.
3. Wet out glass and carefully place over soft fillet and fill glass weave with epoxy.

I then go over the whole thing with epoxy thickened with micro-balloons to get a smooth sand-able surface.
The process works OK but I'm imagining an easier way.

If I could find some noodle like material about the thickness of a pencil led that I could temporarily stick down near the corner then I would have a screed to get a perfect thickness of material to cover the tape and feather out to the ply.
Pick up the noodle and fill the fillet corner and I would be done in two passes.

Because of the trouble getting the thickness right now it takes a couple extra passes to get it right.

Any tricks anyone has come up with to make these kind of corners easier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
You're doing it in the wrong order. If you want to work wet on wet, you really don't need a pre-coat of epoxy before laying in your thickened epoxy.
Sand your corners, clean them with thinner, then lay your bead of thickened epoxy, then tool the bead into a fillet with a tongue depressor, popsicle stick, whatever. THEN lay down your fiberglass tape, and roll epoxy on to fill the weave with a corner roller, or pre-wet your tape and then fit it with your popsicle stick or tongue depressor. The when it kicks, lay on another layer of epoxy to level it out. Done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bljones; 10-18-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-18-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
You're doing it in the wrong order. If you want to work wet on wet, you really don't need a pre-coat of epoxy before laying in your thickened epoxy.
Sand your corners, clean them with thinner, then lay your bead of thickened epoxy, then tool the bead into a fillet with a tongue depressor, popsicle stick, whatever. THEN lay down your fiberglass tape, and roll epoxy on to fill the weave with a corner roller, or pre-wet your tape and then fit it with your popsicle stick or tongue depressor. The when it kicks, lay on another layer of epoxy to level it out. Done.
BLJ has it right but I do one thing differently that I find makes it easier to get a good finish - DON'T try to lay the glass on top of an uncured fillet. Make your fillet as he describes and leave it to kick. When it has, wash it to remove the amine blush, scuff sand it enough to clean off any little lumps or other bits of irregularity and then put your glass tape down - I generally prefer to pre-wet the glass tape if that is what I'm using. If you are using larger pieces of fabric it's usually better to wet it in place.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.