Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-19-2011

Hackettsan is on a distinguished road
Replacing "bladder" in the head?

Possibly a stupid question, but the previous owner replaced the head's holding tank with a "Vetus" bladder of sorts.

What on earth is the procedure/policy for removing and discarding? Or can this system be pumped out? NY does not allow overboard discharge (thank god).

Seems like it will be a nasty job as there is no apparent built in cap or closure. The local "West Marine" does not carry a replacement either.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
I find it unlikely in the extreme that there is not a means for pumping out the bladder shore-side. The nature of the holding tank container is irrelevant to the function of the system. You can: (A) Trace down the system and/or, (B) contact the former owner for instruction. It would be wise to do both.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 10-19-2011

Thanks. Marina just confirmed that there is a pump-out boat (free due to DEC/DEP grants) that will come to the mooring. Pump-out guy thinks it will work the same as if it were a holding tank. Learn somethin new everyday!
Old 10-19-2011
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackettsan View Post
Thanks. Marina just confirmed that there is a pump-out boat (free due to DEC/DEP grants) that will come to the mooring. Pump-out guy thinks it will work the same as if it were a holding tank. Learn somethin new everyday!
Vetus makes bladder tanks for specific uses including holding tanks. The advantage of the bladder is that it will conform to irregular spaces and works well so long as its properly secured and protected from chafe. We have had a 35 gal Vetus bladder-type holding tank aboard our boat for 10+ years with no difficulties and no odors. Once the tank is emptied, we drop a few table-spoons full of dry enzyme treatment into the head and pump it over to the tank. That breaks down the waste material and prevents odor development. To ensure there is no odors around the tank, I drape a couple of lengths of ladies shear stockings filled with activated charcoal--available from Aquarium Supply sores--around the hoses which does an excellant job of absorbing any odors that might occur. (We change these annually at the start of each season).

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 10-19-2011

Thanks again. Will try the charcoal thin next season for sure.
Old 10-20-2011

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
My boat had a 9 gallon Vetus bladder holding tank. What I didn't like was that when they pumped out it never emptied very well because the pump out hose port would suck down against the bottom of the tank and stop the flow. It seemed like it needed something inside the tank to keep that from happening. When I replaced it I first had them pump it out. Then a got a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a lid and a short piece of clear 3/4" PVC hose. I punched a hole in the lid that fit tightly around the 3/4" PVC hose. Then I punched a second hole for the vacuum hose from my shop vac. I then used the 3/4" hose to vacuum all of the remaining contents into the 5 gallon bucket. Do NOT vacuum directly into your shop vac! Don't ask how I know.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 10-20-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
One can also pump out and then add clean water to head rinsing out bladder then pump out a second time.
Old 10-21-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
My last two boats (both Cals) came from the factory with bladder holding tanks. I replaced the one on my previous boat with a rigid plastic tank after repeated problems. The one on my current boat seems to be working OK. The vents on bladder tanks seem to be particularly prone to getting plugged.
Old 10-21-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
The Vetus bladder will work the same as a holding tank--if the PO bought the right bladder and plumbed it properly. Never underestimate what the PO might have done, right or wrong.

Check to make sure there is nothing that will chafe or puncture the bladder, add some Tyvek or outdoor carpeting, etc. if there are sections that regularly rub against raw fiberglass, and the bladder will stay intact.
Old 10-21-2011
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
The Vetus bladder will work the same as a holding tank--if the PO bought the right bladder and plumbed it properly. Never underestimate what the PO might have done, right or wrong.

Check to make sure there is nothing that will chafe or puncture the bladder, add some Tyvek or outdoor carpeting, etc. if there are sections that regularly rub against raw fiberglass, and the bladder will stay intact.
Amen!

Tags
bladder , head , holding tank , vetus

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.