SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Barnacles! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/79939-barnacles.html)

Hackettsan 10-19-2011 02:39 PM

Barnacles!

Another newbie question possibly.

After a complete tune-up and unfortunately close to two months at the dock with 70+ degree waters, i found we could barely move, presumablt due to barnacle build up on the prop and shaft.

I donned a mask and gloves and cleared the prop and some of the shaft and we were under way.

Once we cleared the mooring field it appeared we could barely achieve half throttle (in neutral she revved like a race car (Atomin 4 30hp)). Every time i put her in forward, she barely responded. Also vibrated tremendously in reverse.

Any chance this degree of interference can be from not having thoroughly cleaned the entire shaft (dirty bottom also)???

With only a couple of weeks left in the season and a full calendar I don't think I'll have the chance to check her out from underneath while still in the water?

Hackettsan 10-19-2011 02:57 PM

Apologies. I see the question has been asked and answered before. I had no idea the impact these critters can have. Looks like i'm goin swimming again.

night0wl 10-19-2011 03:13 PM

Did you put any anti-fouling when you were hauled and put back in the water????

Hackettsan 10-19-2011 03:18 PM

Hull was painted with ablative and the prop and shaft zinced. At least that's what the invoice said.

I just pulled four plugs that look to be a few years old, three months after a tune up, so go figure!

tommays 10-19-2011 04:21 PM

I have to clean every two weeks with a washcloth IF I want to keep the growth light and the barnacle larva were fierce right into october

paulk 10-19-2011 10:52 PM

Do you have a folding prop? I would suspect that if you do, it is not opening fully- -possibly because of crud you missed, or which has grown and blocked the spaces that allow the prop to open and deploy as it should. We find that shifting into reverse, then forward, helps the prop to open fully if built-up crud is keeping the blades from deploying as they should. The difference in propulsion is amazing, once the blades are out all the way. If you have a fixed prop, the least amount of growth on it will detract from your performance under power. Growth on the shaft, not so much. Growth on the prop, along with things like the wrong pitch, will cause cavitation (bubbles) that result in lots of spinning and not much forward motion.

Hackettsan 10-20-2011 12:37 PM

Yeah. Folding prop. Lot's of lessons learned for next season. Thanks again everyone.

jerryRiggin 10-20-2011 12:53 PM

Out of curiosity, where was this mooring field in which you acquired so much barnacle growth.