Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-24-2011

BigMoe is on a distinguished road
Smile Installing a Garmin 7215 Touchscreen

Hello fellow sailors:

Has anyone installed the new Garmin 7215 touch screen chart plotter at the helm. I am toying with ripping out my complete Raymarine system and upgrading to a Garmin touch screen. I only sail my 49 in the Chesapeake Bay, so I am not concerned about rough seas interfering with my ability to find the correct button on my plotter.

I would love some input!

Big Moe
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Big Moe,

I installed this myself. I replaced the straight pedestal gaurd with the angled configuration. The charplotter is in the bottom Navpod and the wind, autohelm, depth and remote for the ipod and radio in the top one. This sits behind the binacle, no interference with compass detected. Great angle for viewing the chartplotter from the helm. no glare in this position either off the water since it is tilted up and under the bimini. Wires are all led up internally through the gaurd tubes fron under the deck.

I also have a fold out leaf teak cockpit table with four holes in a rack on the top for drinks ( bottles are sitting in it in the first picture with my wife) and this attaches to the pedastal tubes a before with no interfenece from the Navpods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-25-2011

talbot is on a distinguished road
Touchscreen operation

Hi Moe, I have lots of experience with touchscreens in rough seas and the Garmin touchscreen displays as I'v been using a 5008 for 3 years now on my own sailboat with great satisfaction and helped design the touchscreen system for Sea Ray a few years ago. Concur with all the advice from chef2sail plus:
When demonstrating touchscreen at a boatshow or other stable ground the index finger is typically used and that's the way first timers typically attack the screen. But in rough weather I find it much more precise to stabilize ones hand on the bezel with your three middle fingers and use your thumb for poking precisely. When it's real rough you grab with both hands on either side and thumb poke. You will find hardcore users who refused to believe a touchscreen can work in rough conditions and many manufacturers ride the fence offering both methods. My hats off to Garmin for making and supporting the best way to offer a touchscreen presentation ie. Offering the largest screen size in the smallest footprint, with only a power button. It's simple and works!
Talbot