Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
EH... Sorry you found the water.. You may want to keep this in mind, assuming your boat is like mine. The top of the rudder post if covered with a screw in type access hatch (4" round I used) condensation will form under the hatch and drip into the post which is hollow all the waaaaay down. Since you carried yours home, burped it, and plan to keep it warm. I'm afraid the water won't dry out unless some means to dry it are used. Which is why I'm thinking lots of holes vacuum bag and vac pump (HVAC people have them ) Water evaporates very quickly at low atmospheric pressure. Jus sayin...

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 11-02-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2011
Maine Member

BELLATRIX1965 is on a distinguished road
Nicely done! I'm confident that you will be pleased with the PSS shaft seal - no more messing with stuffing boxes, and the seal (properly installed) will NOT fret your pretty new prop shaft like packing will!

I installed a PSS about 4 years ago, and have had excellent results.

A couple of cautions, though:

a) you need to hook either a "vent" hose to that nipple on the stationary then lead well above the water line, or plumb in water supply to that nipple from your raw water system to act as a flushing line for the seal. Mechanical seal flushing lines are found on virtually all seawater pumps on ships - keeps the seal faces lubricated. If that seal runs dry, it is toast!

and b) read the manual - the rubber bellows is supposed to be replaced every 6 years. Cheap insurance (unfortunately, the new bellows has to be slid over the end of the shaft - and you know what THAT means!) - if that bellows were to fail, it would be really tough to keep the ocean out.

All that said, use plenty of anti-sieze when assembling your shaft coupling and set screws! Good luck on the re-install!
Old 11-02-2011
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Almost 4 yrs on my PSS too! love it!

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-02-2011
Maine Member

BELLATRIX1965 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post

Almost $1K worth of parts in this picture.

NEVER forget - it's a B.O.A.T. (Break Out Another Thousand)!!
Old 11-02-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hey,

That ring is indeed the lower bearing. There should be an upper bearing. It may be stuck to the boat where the rudder post passes through. It goes above the rudder quadrant (as you can see in the pic)

I put a bead of 5200 around my rudder post when I had the rudder out.

Barry
Attached Thumbnails
Contemplating a drive line overhaul-rudderbearing.jpg  
deniseO30 and eherlihy like this.

Last edited by BarryL; 11-02-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
And now for a confession...

While installing the prop shaft;
The prop shaft needed to be slid in from the rear, because space was too tight between the engine and the shaft log. I therefore needed to install the bellows and graphite seal before installing the prop shaft. No problem there.

Then I needed to install the stainless seal over the shaft. No problem with this either - I sanded the edges of the shaft and keyway with 600 grit paper, coated the shaft with Dawn, slipped the seal and rubber rings over the end and up against the bellows. (I still haven't used any of the set screws yet).

Then I needed to install the coupling. I coated the inside of the coupling and the keyway with Tef-gel, and slid the end over the shaft. Here things go awry.. While I could get the coupling on the shaft, I could not fully seat it. I can't fit a hammer between the coupling and the shaft to tap it. So, I put a block of wood (1˝"pine) between the coupling and the transmission, to act as a shock absorber. Then, I tapped on a block of wood on the aft end of the propeller shaft to push the shaft into the coupling. I was basically hammering the shaft forward into the coupling, and against the block of wood, which was held in place by the transmission flange.

Well, lightly tapping didn't get the shaft into the coupling, so I tapped harder with a bigger hammer - for about 15 minutes. The coupling is still about 1/8 inch from where it needs to be, and I am frustrated.

My plan, when I get back to the boat, is to use a series of wooden blocks to brace the coupling against the transmission, and NOT the flange. Then to heat the coupling with a propane torch, for about 10 min to heat, and hopefully expand the coupling. Finally, what any red-blooded-american-boy would do, I plan to use a bigger hammer!

Thoughts? Ideas? Solutions???
Old 11-02-2011
Learning the HARD way...

Thanks Barry!

That pic helps a LOT. The upper bearing is still in place, as I have not removed the quadrant. Hopefully, I will only have to worry about the lower bearing... in the spring of 2012
Old 11-03-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
And now for a confession...

While installing the prop shaft;
The prop shaft needed to be slid in from the rear, because space was too tight between the engine and the shaft log. I therefore needed to install the bellows and graphite seal before installing the prop shaft. No problem there.

Then I needed to install the stainless seal over the shaft. No problem with this either - I sanded the edges of the shaft and keyway with 600 grit paper, coated the shaft with Dawn, slipped the seal and rubber rings over the end and up against the bellows. (I still haven't used any of the set screws yet).

Then I needed to install the coupling. I coated the inside of the coupling and the keyway with Tef-gel, and slid the end over the shaft. Here things go awry.. While I could get the coupling on the shaft, I could not fully seat it. I can't fit a hammer between the coupling and the shaft to tap it. So, I put a block of wood (1˝"pine) between the coupling and the transmission, to act as a shock absorber. Then, I tapped on a block of wood on the aft end of the propeller shaft to push the shaft into the coupling. I was basically hammering the shaft forward into the coupling, and against the block of wood, which was held in place by the transmission flange.

Well, lightly tapping didn't get the shaft into the coupling, so I tapped harder with a bigger hammer - for about 15 minutes. The coupling is still about 1/8 inch from where it needs to be, and I am frustrated.

My plan, when I get back to the boat, is to use a series of wooden blocks to brace the coupling against the transmission, and NOT the flange. Then to heat the coupling with a propane torch, for about 10 min to heat, and hopefully expand the coupling. Finally, what any red-blooded-american-boy would do, I plan to use a bigger hammer!

Thoughts? Ideas? Solutions???

Eherlihy,

STOP HAMMERING. Something is wrong, most likely key bound. Pull the coupling off and start over. It should NOT fit that tight. This is a light tap or press fit...
T37Chef likes this.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-03-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2011
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
STOP HAMMERING. Something is wrong, most likely key bound. Pull the coupling off and start over. It should NOT fit that tight. This is a light tap or press fit...
I don't like the idea of hammering against the bearings either. My hope is that the block of pine is buying me some slack.

When I picked up the shaft and coupling, the guy at the shop (never heard of Tef-Gel, BTW) suggested that I heat the coupling for an hour or two in an oven, and place an icepack on the end of the shaft. While I understand why and what he was suggesting, it was not feasible for a boat that is 45 miles away from home in a boat yard. (no fridge, and no oven since she's been decommissioned for the winter)

Also, I know that the key is not bound. I can move the key in and out along the keyway between the coupling and the shaft.

The real problem is that there is no room to fit a wooden / rubber hammer between the transmission coupling and the shaft coupling. There might be 4" total in which to work.
Old 11-03-2011
1934 Chickering

How's bout a slide hammer like they use on body work?

My boat is for sale.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.