Wanna do Teak in my cockpit...how much ballpark will it run me??? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-31-2011

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Wanna do Teak in my cockpit...how much ballpark will it run me???

Before I start to dive in here...wanna know how much it will run me to have my cockpit floor and seating surfaces done in teak planks....Here is a pic of the cockpit as it is now, and the style I want to go for. Its not a big cockpit so I'd think it wouldn't be much....but just wanna get an idea so I can prioritize my upgrades. I think the Boomkicker is next, then instruments, then teak.

My cockpit now...

The style I am looking to add...Just floor and seating surfaces on the sides of the cockpit and the back next to the tiller.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NewportNewbie; 10-31-2011 at 01:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2011

overbored is on a distinguished road
You may want to consider Nuteak, it does not require any maintenance
Old 10-31-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Probably into 4 figures if you do it yourself, well into it if you have it done. Teak boards to cut the strips from cost $20+ a B.F. Pre-made teak decking which usually is 2 planks wide with a false caulking groove in the middle will run near that per LINEAL foot.

I've laid teak decks and laid teak cockpit soles etc. My STRONG recommendation is that you listen to overbored - the new synthetics are difficult to distinguish from the real thing and don't require all the work. If you can make an accurate paper template, the synthetic teak decking companies can make you a set of pieces that you just have to stick down and you're done. They look real, don't weather, don't require maintenance and are lighter.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-31-2011

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Hmmm....funny how I have come full circle. I looked into the various synthetic companies, nuteak, plasteak, sea cork, etc. The reviews I have read are that the synthetics are not really a replacement. The sea cork seems like the best of them all except it looks like cork. lol...Maybe I'll call the nuteak distributor and see if he can show me samples and maybe see a boat in person. The thing about the nuteak is its a tad bit on the orange side...I'd like a bit more bleached look like the Jeanneau's in those pics. I think its more understated and low key. Just my opinion. The nuteak website has a lot of pretty flashy examples...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2011
BoatSmith

Boatsmith is on a distinguished road
fake teak sucks. itis hotter than real teak which is pretty hot already. It also scars and the glue used in the margin s doesn't stay glued. I have not seen a fake teak deck that layed smooth and flat. I am biased as I install a lot of real teak decking. I won't install fake teak and wouldn't have it on my boat. You could also use a 3m overlay that would look like weathered teak.
Old 10-31-2011

Seaduction is on a distinguished road
Smile

I'm not addressing your inquiry about the teak seating but for your own personal comfort and the comfort of your guests you should consider some cushy cockpit cushions. Cushions would hide any teak applications but are easy on the backside and you can sleep on them whenever the occasion arises. Just sayin....
Old 10-31-2011

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
My Dad always says " If you have to ask the price you can't afford it!" -- Dale
Old 10-31-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I'd be in the 'why?' group... IMO you're adding unnecessary weight and maintenance. A nice contrasting nonskid will give you better grip and a similar look if you take some care, but watch out for the darker colours..they can get very hot underfoot even out of the tropics.

Is this your 'forever' boat??... if not there's better places to put your money.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-31-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
I second cockpit cushions. If you want a nice "wood floor" look without the cost and trouble of teak, make a set of duckboards/cockpit grates. I used cedar, epoxy sealed and varnished. Looks good, is comfy underfoot and cost less than $100.

Old 10-31-2011
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road
I was at the Long Beach boat show a week or two ago and they had a teak vendor there. He told me it runs about $100 sq. ft. and you can install it yourself. They get a template, send it to their shop and they send it back to you. It would then be glued down, no screw or plugs. He said it was easy to install or they would hire a sub to do it for you.

The World's Leader in Pre-Manufactured Custom Teak Decks - Teakdecking Systems® is the website. Not endorsing, just passing on info.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.