Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-31-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
cleaning an alcohol stove burner?

Well my Kenyon pressurized alcohol stove has an inconsistent flame. It will burn OK, then suddenly flare up after a few minutes of cooking. The pan will suddenly flood with alcohol, even though the knob hasn't been touched. Other times the flame will ebb and almost go out, then I open the knob and it flares up, and I go back and forth but a solid consistent flame is almost impossible to achieve. So I took it apart for a cleaning.

I notice there is a mesh filter at the base of the burner. Prob hasn't been replaced in 30 years so that may be what the problem is. But I can't figure out how to get it out. I can't find a manual on this particular model. I am afraid to try and forcibly unscrew the brass part from the burner because it is brass and therefore soft so I worry about damaging the threads. Especially because I'm not even sure it's supposed to be taken off that way.

Anyone have any suggestions on getting the filter out?

Any suggestions on how to properly clean the valves/etc of this stove?

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
My suggestion would be to replace the stove with an Origo. Better performance and MUCH less trouble. After living with Kenyons for 20+ years, I put an Origo on my previous boat and loved it.

If you are set on keeping the Kenyon, it sounds like you need to completely rebuild the burner. There is a "filter" in each burner - looks like string. Here's a source of parts.

HOMESTRAND STOVE PARTS & REFURBISHED STOVES
Old 10-31-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Another Simpler Alcohol Answer

Not to try to talk you out of your old pressure stove... and I do realize that you started the thread with a question about rebuilding the burners.

But...

I once had a similar pressure stove, albeit a Kerosine Primus. After having problems rebuilding burners (flooding, flareups) , I bit the bullet and replaced it with a full-on propane galley install. Lots of work and not a little expense, too.

On our current boat we have the Origo and have used it for cooking and baking for 15 years. "It just works".
No tanks, hoses, or pressure.

So, if you reach the point of considering a different type of stove, do consider the Origo.

LB
Old 10-31-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
I have a pretty major refit of the boat coming up in the Spring. Haul out, bottom paint, possibly topsides, hatch re-sealing, sail replacement, etc. so spending $400 on a new stove is not really an option.

I have considered just using a camping stove with the green propane bottles. When not in use I could store them in a cockpit locker, so no worries about leakage. But the camp stove I have wouldn't fit neatly into the recess where the stove is now (too big), and I do worry about propane on a boat...

If I just need to clean the valves and replace the filters, I can deal with the stove for now. New sails are more important! I just don't know how to clean the valve. Acetone? Gasoline? kerosine? pipe cleaners? I don't even know where to start...
Old 11-01-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
If I just need to clean the valves and replace the filters, I can deal with the stove for now. New sails are more important! I just don't know how to clean the valve. Acetone? Gasoline? kerosine? pipe cleaners? I don't even know where to start...
As I said in my previous post, I suggest a burner rebuild if you plan on keeping the stove. You can try taking the burner apart and cleaning it (I'd use carb cleaner from the auto parts store) but that may or not fix your problem. Again, see the link above for parts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.