Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-02-2011
s/v Black Prince

stiffwind is on a distinguished road
The new GHP12 autopilot

I am considering the installation of the first autopilot in my boat. I want the new Garmin Product GHP12.
It has great company reviews from Garmin; however, I have not seen any independent reviews on the performance or installation...Any news or experience with this product out there?
Old 11-02-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Check Panbo. They usually have the scoop on marine electronics.

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog

See the comments at the end for user input.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 11-02-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: The new GHP12 autopilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffwind View Post
I am considering the installation of the first autopilot in my boat. I want the new Garmin Product GHP12.
It has great company reviews from Garmin; however, I have not seen any independent reviews on the performance or installation...Any news or experience with this product out there?
I just installed the GHP 12 after upgrading all my instruments(failed wind and water speed) to Garmin on my '97 Caliber 40LRC. I used my existing Simrad/Robertson HLD2000L drive which works perfectly with the GHP 12. For those wanting to use this drive, it uses European wiring standards of Brown(+) and Blue(N). The clutch solenoid voltage is 12v.

The system worked flawlessly while motoring for an hour and then sailing for 2 in 15kts. I even trimmed the boat with a lot of weather helm and the pilot held it perfectly in some mixed chop. Something my previous Robertson AP had trouble doing. The Robertson compass was suspect but a replacement was nearly as much as a new Garmin unit. We also tested sailing by wind angle but did not do any tacks or gybes yet. I will test those in lighter conditions.

I have yet to connect my 3206 via NMEA 0183 and test it's ability to steer to a waypoint.

BTW, I used a Raymarine rudder position feedback sensor with Garmin's cable adapter. Garmin tech support indicated that while the GHC10 would show rudder position, the data would not be available to my GMI10 MFDs. They were wrong. I can easily display an analog rudder position graphic on the GMI10.

The installation was very straightforward although the alarm/power-on pigtail from the CCU should come off the opposite end of the cable to make routing easier. Once powered up the GHC10 walked me through the initial setup which includes selecting the non-Garmin drive unit. The sea initialization was also very easy to do.

Warning, there are many typos and incorrect wiring info in the Garmin Docs which are very limited to begin with. If you use a field installable NMEA2000 connector, wire it according to the back of the connector, not what the documentation says.

The only feature this AP does not have that I used to use often on my Ray S1 and Robertson AP300 is the dodge feature which makes it easy to temporarily alter course to steer around something and then resume your original course. On the Garmin you either have to step turn around it our go to standby and remember what your original course was.

The NMEA 2000 bus is a joy to work with. Very easy to add new sensors or MFDs. I have nearly eliminated the NMEA0183 wiring in my boat by utilizing Garmins marine network and NMEA 2000. The only NMEA 0183 connections I still have are for AIS and to connect the chartplotters to the AP and VHF to a GPS antennae. No more need for a multiplexor either.

Feel free to PM me for more info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2012
s/v Black Prince

stiffwind is on a distinguished road
Re: The new GHP12 autopilot

Trielley,
FYI, I also have the garmin 3206 and the GHP12. In order for me to direct auto pilot to go to a waypoint, I use pointer to mark point, enter, nav, and it will say go to the point, enter...then the chart plotter is showing navigation to the point. Then I hit Menu on autopilot, and it will say Go to Mappoint, hit Select and your on the way.
The point is the autopilot will not go to nav aids....which would be more convenient, I suppose because they dont want you to actually collide with the nav aid!
Let me know if you find anything different