Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-03-2011

rbrasi is on a distinguished road
Name That Sail!!!

This might be a Stays'l because that's what it says on the bag it came in (it was included with the boat-PO has no idea of what it is). The material is light, like a parachute. Can someone with a clue please confirm for me?
Also, the sheets (?) coming from the two bottom corners in the picture are connected.
Attached Thumbnails
Name That Sail!!!-stasl.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
How big is it? What boat? Any chance it is awning of some sort?
Old 11-03-2011

rbrasi is on a distinguished road
The top is 16' 3", the left side is 15' 10", the right is 16' 10" and the bottom is 5' 4". As noted in my sig, Cal 2-30. I suppose it could be an awning, but it's made by the same sail maker that made my Main (I forget the name).
Old 11-03-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrasi View Post
This might be a Stays'l because that's what it says on the bag it came in (it was included with the boat-PO has no idea of what it is). The material is light, like a parachute. Can someone with a clue please confirm for me?
Also, the sheets (?) coming from the two bottom corners in the picture are connected.
Since you don't have a schooner, I'll assume it's not a Gollyacker.

My guess is some sort of spinnaker staysail. I've seen very low aspect ones for deep downwind courses but never a quadrilateral. You list the measurements as being wider at the top - how do you KNOW that's the top? Other than square riggers, I've never seen a sail wider at the top than the bottom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-04-2011

mm2187 is on a distinguished road
Maybe is is a version of a anchor riding sail. Are those slided on the top edge to fit into a groove on the jib or main. and then the lines tie to the deck or a sheet or something...
Old 11-04-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I would guess it is a sail for a dinghy. I would expect an awning would be symetrical and a staysail 3 sided and a riding sail, smaller overall.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies