Have Barient 28's, Question about new ST's - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
  #1  
Old 11-04-2011
GMFL's Avatar
Large Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 276
Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 5
GMFL is on a distinguished road
Have Barient 28's, Question about new ST's

I've been updating my Islander 36 that I purchased almost a year ago and have done a bunch of work so far: New lines led inside mast, painted the mast, new roller furler, electronics, etc. One of the next upgrades on the list are new self tailing winches for the jib sheets.

I currently have Barient 28's not st's. Want to replace with new Lewmar or Harken Self Tailers. Don't know much about winches but have been reading up. It seems as though the recommendations from the above manufacturers are suggesting a smaller diameter winch drum than that of the Barient 28. I know rope diameters have become smaller due to increased strength/tech. Is that the same for winches? Were mine over sized for some reason?

I have a 135% genoa now, but may purchase a 150% in the future if that helps any. The boat has been in the San Francisco bay for a while (since it's launch??). I'm planning to bring it to the Southern CA area next summer, where winds are much lighter.

Thanks, in advance, for any replies.

Last edited by GMFL; 11-04-2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 11-05-2011
SloopJonB's Avatar
Senior Moment Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 10,930
Thanks: 58
Thanked 56 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 4
SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
I've been updating my Islander 36 that I purchased almost a year ago and have done a bunch of work so far: New lines led inside mast, painted the mast, new roller furler, electronics, etc. One of the next upgrades on the list are new self tailing winches for the jib sheets.

I currently have Barient 28's not st's. Want to replace with new Lewmar or Harken Self Tailers. Don't know much about winches but have been reading up. It seems as though the recommendations from the above manufacturers are suggesting a smaller diameter winch drum than that of the Barient 28. I know rope diameters have become smaller due to increased strength/tech. Is that the same for winches? Were mine over sized for some reason?

I have a 135% genoa now, but may purchase a 150% in the future if that helps any. The boat has been in the San Francisco bay for a while (since it's launch??). I'm planning to bring it to the Southern CA area next summer, where winds are much lighter.

Thanks, in advance, for any replies.
A winch is essentially a lever. Much of the power is gained by the difference between the diameter of the drum and the length of the handle - smaller drum diameter is the same as a longer handle. As long as the drum diameter is large enough to spool your line without problems, it's wide enough. The big, powerful winches have such large diameter drums because they have big gear trains inside that have to be enclosed by the drum. The guts of my old Barient 736's look like a Muncie 4-speed from an old muscle car.
__________________
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 11-05-2011
BELLATRIX1965's Avatar
Maine Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Penobscot Bay Maine
Posts: 175
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
BELLATRIX1965 is on a distinguished road
Re: Self-tailing - REMEMBER regardless of winch drum diameter, the self-tailing device will only suit a limited range of line diameters! Be certain what size line you will be handling now and in future, and match that to the self-tailer on the new winch(es).

Have you considered ANDERSEN stainless steel winches? Check them out! We bought a full set for our boat last year - really, really nice winches!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 11-05-2011
mitiempo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada
Posts: 7,284
Thanks: 0
Thanked 79 Times in 70 Posts
Rep Power: 8
mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I'll second Anderson winches. I have 40's for sheets and 28's on the cabin top. The best winches I have seen or used.
__________________
Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 11-05-2011
SloopJonB's Avatar
Senior Moment Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 10,930
Thanks: 58
Thanked 56 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 4
SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I'll second Anderson winches. I have 40's for sheets and 28's on the cabin top. The best winches I have seen or used.
Andersen's sure look like the best available these days.

How do they compare to what Barient used to put out? I have a bunch of old stainless Barients and they are wonderful pieces of machinery - bulletproof as long as they have some semblance of lubrication in them. All 12 on my boat were seized solid with dried lube when I bought the boat - not one of them would turn. After stripping and cleaning them I had to replace exactly one pawl and one spring on the then 34 year old winches.

That's pretty hard to beat IMHO.
__________________
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 11-05-2011
mitiempo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada
Posts: 7,284
Thanks: 0
Thanked 79 Times in 70 Posts
Rep Power: 8
mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I've never owned Barients but a friend has a few and likes them.
__________________
Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 11-05-2011
msmith10's Avatar
Junior member, rest old
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 492
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
msmith10 is on a distinguished road
I replaced Barients with Andersens a couple of years ago because I wanted self tailers. I agree that the Barients are great winches-- bulletproof is exactly how I always described them. Not a plastic part on them anywhere. I am just as impressed with the Andersens.
__________________
Mark Smith
1977 C&C 30 Mk 1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 11-05-2011
GMFL's Avatar
Large Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 276
Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 5
GMFL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
smaller drum diameter is the same as a longer handle. As long as the drum diameter is large enough to spool your line without problems, it's wide enough. The big, powerful winches have such large diameter drums because they have big gear trains inside that have to be enclosed by the drum.
Interesting, I would have thought a larger drum would provide more leverage. Good to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 11-05-2011
GMFL's Avatar
Large Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 276
Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 5
GMFL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELLATRIX1965 View Post
Re: Self-tailing - REMEMBER regardless of winch drum diameter, the self-tailing device will only suit a limited range of line diameters! Be certain what size line you will be handling now and in future, and match that to the self-tailer on the new winch(es).
Yep, that's why I'm looking at new winches. I did find Barient 28 ST's at Minney's for $600 ea. The footprint (and hole pattern I'm assuming) would have been the same as what I have now. Since I have switched out the rope to wire lines for new Samson lines, I thought I should look into new winches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 11-05-2011
GMFL's Avatar
Large Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 276
Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 5
GMFL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELLATRIX1965 View Post

Have you considered ANDERSEN stainless steel winches? Check them out! We bought a full set for our boat last year - really, really nice winches!
I had not. I've seen the brand but didn't really look into them, but just checked them out some more. They seem to be a bit more expensive but the all stainless look pretty sweet. Maybe I'll save up for another month or so.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
barient #632 tgf Introduce Yourself 3 10-01-2009 02:40 PM
Barient 25 upgrade to selftailing Barient 27-48ST roline Gear & Maintenance 1 08-27-2009 11:10 PM
Barient 25 upgrade to selftailing BArient 27-48ST roline Gear & Maintenance 0 08-27-2009 08:04 PM
Barient 28 bearings wigiwi00 Gear & Maintenance 3 01-12-2009 08:39 AM
barient 17 question bradfalk Gear & Maintenance 4 08-11-2008 12:09 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:46 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.