Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-06-2011
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
Bottom Painting, Where do I start...?

Two part question, part two is paint selection, I've been thry the archives did the search and what I found was inconclusive (at least to me...) Lot of "I like this kind, I like that kind" and "this is resistant to barnacles" this let the algae grow", but what I want to know is of the different typs of finish's which is most appropriate for Fresh Water lakes, and a boat that will be stored on trailer...? I imagine a "hard" finish, not neccessarily a copper coating, anything else I should consider...?

First part of the question is on prep.. looking at the pics of my bottom it looks neglected...I'm assuming I need to sand all the reddish orange "paint" off and down to the glass hull, (greenish part under water line..?) Do I need to "prime" with anything or go direct to hull finish...? Or just feather out the lumps and bumps and re-cover it all..? Thing is I don't know what I have so it's hard to tell what will cover it...
Attached Thumbnails
Bottom Painting, Where do I start...?-687298.jpg   Bottom Painting, Where do I start...?-687299.jpg  
Old 11-06-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
If you're going to dry sail your boat, then you really don't NEED antifouling paint. However, looking at the condition of your boat's bottom, I would seriously consider stripping it back to the gelcoat then fairing it and laying on a barrier coat like Interprotect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2011
Superior Sailor

Good.. was hopeing I didn't need $200/Gal "Anti fouling" paint if I keep her on the dry...

But am pretty sure I need to do "something" to smooth out and protect my babys bottom..

I'll look into Interprotect...
Old 11-06-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Funny thing about bottom paint- in my experience the answer to "how much do I need?" is answered by "as much as you've got."

Here's what I mean, with our boat Whiskeyjack:
Season One- Bought a gallon, used almost all of it. The pint or so left quickly dried out due to a poorly sealed lid. Three of us painted, using cheap high pile wide rollers and foam brushes- lots of waste, lots of paint left in the rollers and brushes.
Season 2- Bought three quarts, used it all. Two painters, One roller, one brusher.
Season 3- Store only had two quarts in the colour I needed. Used A quart and a half. One painter, low pile narrow roller, narrow foam brush.
Season 4- No time to get more paint, starting to rain, thinned out the remains of last season's paint. Call it three quarters of a quart, thinned. One wide roller, one narrow roller, one chip brush.
At haulout this season she looks better than ever-very little growth, easily scrubbed off. I think I've learned something. YMMV, etc., etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-06-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Squidster,
I'll echo Mr. Jones. Dry sailing a boat means no need for really expensive paints. You do want a smooth bottom though.
In your pictures of the hull, if the white surface is the gel-coat and the darker surface is just under that and the red surface is on top of the white... then you have unprotected laminate or fiberglass (FRP or GRP if you prefer) sitting in the water. The FRP/GRP is normally coated with gel-coat and then painted which is why I'd guess that the red layer is higher then both the others. You have some fairing (sanding, scraping etc) to do on the hull and it would be a good idea to level (really, smooth and round) the hull surface as well as seal the dark fiberglass layer under something like a barrier coat product.
It does not look that bad, just a bit neglected.
Good luck.

Everybody has one:

Old 11-06-2011

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
Am doing mine now, have the system down and found the product at the right price! Besides you know what they say about a dirty bottom slowing you down; just think what it does to your boat!---Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 11-19-2011
Superior Sailor

OK I think I have this narrowed down..

I don't need an anti foul paint or ablative paint... I believe I need an epoxy barrier coat paint.. ??

Choice then is Pettit Protect Epoxy Barrier Coat or Interlux Interprotect 2000E Epoxy Barrier Coat...

Price is about the same... any further thoughts..?
Old 11-19-2011

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
If you use a barrier coat . why would you not follow it up with a antifouling paint, if only for the color? --Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 11-19-2011
Superior Sailor

Well, that's why the question marks are up there in my statement...

I was thinking fresh water lake, on the trailer most of the time, gray is good enough color for the fishs..wouldn't need the extra expence of the anti fouling (aren't they supposed to stay in the water) if I go heavy on the barrier..??

Am I missing something...? does the antifouling protect the barrier coat..?
Old 11-19-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post
Well, that's why the question marks are up there in my statement...

I was thinking fresh water lake, on the trailer most of the time, gray is good enough color for the fishs..wouldn't need the extra expence of the anti fouling (aren't they supposed to stay in the water) if I go heavy on the barrier..??

Am I missing something...? does the antifouling protect the barrier coat..?
One of the hard, racing bottom paints would probably be slipperier and certainly better looking than InterProtect. No need to replace it seasonally though, just when it starts looking bad.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.