Join Date: May 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Mast height alterations
We currently purchased about 2 months ago a S2 11.0A sailboat.
Going through the original log book, we found that the mast was shorten by 30". Although we only race a few times a year, my immediate thought is that I would hate to loose 30" of height. I have done some research and have a few options that I would like your educated opinion.
**Please note that no matter what, I am planning to replace the mainsail and all upper shrouds this winter.
1. Provide a 30" mast extrusion extension at the keel step location. Move the spreaders, gooseneck and lower shrouds down 30". *Problem: I have found the original spar manuf but unsure at this time if they are able to provide a 30" extrusion along with a internal splice.
1A. Have a resource that will be able to fabricate a aluminum extension and sleeve. If so, will provide a much thicker extrusion then the mast.
2. Replace the mast with a new or used extrusion. This is very pricy - quotes for a new mast (without the any rigging) is about $5k plus freight and a used one is about $2,300 plus freight. Freight for a 50' mast is expensive and hard to find.
3. Convert our keel step to a deck step rig. Some say that it is a matter of cutting your mast accordingly, modify your gooseneck, spreaders, shroud locations to match original, provide a compression post from your keel step to the bottom of the mast, and fiberglass and fill in the opening. Others say that a deck step mast requires engineering, heavier mast and rigging modifications.
If it is the first, then sounds straight forward. If it is the second, then this will not work.
4. Forget it. Buy a full batten mainsail to fit the shorter mast and live with it.
5. Any thoughts or ideas????
I would just live with it and see how it sails and then decide what to do but the PO destroyed the mainsail by having it cut and modified twice, and it still seems to be blown out. Needs to be replaced prior to spring sailing. I don't want to invest into new upper shrouds and mainsail. Can't add to these things if the mast increases.
S2 11.0A 36'
Last edited by patrscoe; 11-07-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Reason: miss spelled title