SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Required Safety Gear (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/80578-required-safety-gear.html)

Squidd 11-08-2011 08:28 AM

Required Safety Gear

I was over at Lake Superior Sailors place and he was showing me how he had outfitted his boat ( lotta neat ideas- thanks) and were going thru all the "bells, whistles and horns" as well as MOB stuff fire extinguishers and PFDs, placards etc...

I didn't memorize it all, so was wondering if there is a list or link to the USCG "required" gear ( the stuff they would look for if you were boarded/inspected) and maybe lists of "really nice to have" stuff as well as "necessary but not required" stuff...

I have a 26' Paceship and have stripped 'er bare (gear wise) in the inside so starting from scratch...

Mostly want to know what is "mandatory" so I don't miss anything, but also interested in what you think is neccessary for basic safety/comfort before we get into the "nice to have" frilly stuff

ottos 11-08-2011 09:20 AM

From the horses mouth (ie.USCG): A Boater’s Guide to the Federal Requirements for Recreational Boats And Safety Tips

Fair winds!

Lake Superior Sailor 11-08-2011 09:27 AM

Visit DNR - Department of Natural Resources --Dale

DRFerron 11-08-2011 11:14 AM

Squidd,

Your question leads me to believe that you have not taken a boating safety course (at a minimum). I highly recommend it as required and highly recommended equipment, along with other need to know information is covered in the most basic of courses.

United State Power and Sail Squadron and USCG Auxiliary both offer them.

JimsCAL 11-08-2011 12:02 PM

The USCG requirements are minimums. Suggest you look at the offshore race requirements for Category 3 races. Lots of good stuff in there for consideration besides safety equipment.

ISAF : Offshore Special Regulations : osr-docs.php

Squidd 11-08-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 794875)
Squidd,

Your question leads me to believe that you have not taken a boating safety course (at a minimum). I highly recommend it as required and highly recommended equipment, along with other need to know information is covered in the most basic of courses.

United State Power and Sail Squadron and USCG Auxiliary both offer them.

Well, Yes and No....I do plan on completeing the hands on ASA Basic Keelboat course before I launch my boat (assuming I have it ship shape by next spring)...

And I have been taking On line courses (ASA, Nautic Ed, etc) they cover the "basic info" but are light on "specifics"...They will tell you "you need fire extingushers, PFDs and "USCG reccomended safety equipment"..but I want to know which kind and how many and like to get specific reccomendations from people who are using them ...

For instance they tell you you need a MOB class IV "throwable"...OK, the ring, the horseshoe, or the cushion...? Which do you prefer and why..?

That's why I ask here/now...

I have all winter to outfit my boat, Christmas is coming and all that..

Squidd 11-08-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimsCAL (Post 794893)
The USCG requirements are minimums. Suggest you look at the offshore race requirements for Category 3 races. Lots of good stuff in there for consideration besides safety equipment.

Thanks that had alot of specifics...I printed it out as a guide for outfitting the "Lady" this winter...

DRFerron 11-08-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squidd (Post 794952)
For instance they tell you you need a MOB class IV "throwable"...OK, the ring, the horseshoe, or the cushion...? Which do you prefer and why..?

That's why I ask here/now...

I have all winter to outfit my boat, Christmas is coming and all that..

I'm not trying to discourage you from asking.

We have all three. :)

I know that people are busy and I'm not just saying this because I'm a boating instructor (and I think the other instructors in the forum would agree), there just isn't anything that beats a seat in the chair classroom or on-board training where you can get immediate one-on-one feedback to your questions and hands-on time with the equipment. You've already seen the limitations of the online courses. When you take the ASA course you'll see the limitations even more.

This forum is fantastic for getting information, but you also have to be able to sift through what is right for you at your stage of the game. For example, while JimsCAL's link to offshore requirements is a nice to know, it's more than you may need at this moment in your sailing career and may not apply to the type of sailing you will be doing in the near future. I'm the type of person who would file it away for the future, but some may simply get confused. Not saying you would, just saying.

olson34 11-08-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimsCAL (Post 794893)

I'm adding a "plus one" to this suggestion.
Further, d/l the Cat. 1 and 2 requirements and study them. There's much good stuff there for anyone boating in open waters.
After all, the USCG list is really just a minimum and a starting point for equipping your boat for the conditions you may meet while out there.

Be safe,

LB

MarkSF 11-08-2011 02:43 PM

I like to have something that will double as a harness to hoist the MOB if they are too weak or injured. Hence the Lifesling. However there's still the horseshoe too which is mainly used for throwing overboard when the helmsperson least expects it, for MOB drill.