Required Safety Gear - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-08-2011 Thread Starter
Superior Sailor

Required Safety Gear

I was over at Lake Superior Sailors place and he was showing me how he had outfitted his boat ( lotta neat ideas- thanks) and were going thru all the "bells, whistles and horns" as well as MOB stuff fire extinguishers and PFDs, placards etc...

I didn't memorize it all, so was wondering if there is a list or link to the USCG "required" gear ( the stuff they would look for if you were boarded/inspected) and maybe lists of "really nice to have" stuff as well as "necessary but not required" stuff...

I have a 26' Paceship and have stripped 'er bare (gear wise) in the inside so starting from scratch...

Mostly want to know what is "mandatory" so I don't miss anything, but also interested in what you think is neccessary for basic safety/comfort before we get into the "nice to have" frilly stuff

"Might as well take 'er out...If anything is gonna happen...It's gonna happen out there..."
"Captin Ron"
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-08-2011
Seņor Member

From the horses mouth (ie.USCG): A Boater’s Guide to the Federal Requirements for Recreational Boats And Safety Tips

Fair winds!

Last edited by ottos; 11-08-2011 at 11:03 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-08-2011

Visit DNR - Department of Natural Resources --Dale

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!
post #4 of 11 Old 11-08-2011
Dragon Mod

Dock
Squidd,

Your question leads me to believe that you have not taken a boating safety course (at a minimum). I highly recommend it as required and highly recommended equipment, along with other need to know information is covered in the most basic of courses.

United State Power and Sail Squadron and USCG Auxiliary both offer them.
ottos likes this.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
post #5 of 11 Old 11-08-2011

The USCG requirements are minimums. Suggest you look at the offshore race requirements for Category 3 races. Lots of good stuff in there for consideration besides safety equipment.

ISAF : Offshore Special Regulations : osr-docs.php
ottos likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-08-2011 Thread Starter
Superior Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Squidd,

Your question leads me to believe that you have not taken a boating safety course (at a minimum). I highly recommend it as required and highly recommended equipment, along with other need to know information is covered in the most basic of courses.

United State Power and Sail Squadron and USCG Auxiliary both offer them.
Well, Yes and No....I do plan on completeing the hands on ASA Basic Keelboat course before I launch my boat (assuming I have it ship shape by next spring)...

And I have been taking On line courses (ASA, Nautic Ed, etc) they cover the "basic info" but are light on "specifics"...They will tell you "you need fire extingushers, PFDs and "USCG reccomended safety equipment"..but I want to know which kind and how many and like to get specific reccomendations from people who are using them ...

For instance they tell you you need a MOB class IV "throwable"...OK, the ring, the horseshoe, or the cushion...? Which do you prefer and why..?

That's why I ask here/now...

I have all winter to outfit my boat, Christmas is coming and all that..

"Might as well take 'er out...If anything is gonna happen...It's gonna happen out there..."
"Captin Ron"
post #7 of 11 Old 11-08-2011 Thread Starter
Superior Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
The USCG requirements are minimums. Suggest you look at the offshore race requirements for Category 3 races. Lots of good stuff in there for consideration besides safety equipment.

Thanks that had alot of specifics...I printed it out as a guide for outfitting the "Lady" this winter...

"Captin Ron"
post #8 of 11 Old 11-08-2011
Dragon Mod

Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post
For instance they tell you you need a MOB class IV "throwable"...OK, the ring, the horseshoe, or the cushion...? Which do you prefer and why..?

That's why I ask here/now...

I have all winter to outfit my boat, Christmas is coming and all that..
I'm not trying to discourage you from asking.

We have all three.

I know that people are busy and I'm not just saying this because I'm a boating instructor (and I think the other instructors in the forum would agree), there just isn't anything that beats a seat in the chair classroom or on-board training where you can get immediate one-on-one feedback to your questions and hands-on time with the equipment. You've already seen the limitations of the online courses. When you take the ASA course you'll see the limitations even more.

This forum is fantastic for getting information, but you also have to be able to sift through what is right for you at your stage of the game. For example, while JimsCAL's link to offshore requirements is a nice to know, it's more than you may need at this moment in your sailing career and may not apply to the type of sailing you will be doing in the near future. I'm the type of person who would file it away for the future, but some may simply get confused. Not saying you would, just saying.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
post #9 of 11 Old 11-08-2011

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post

I'm adding a "plus one" to this suggestion.
Further, d/l the Cat. 1 and 2 requirements and study them. There's much good stuff there for anyone boating in open waters.
After all, the USCG list is really just a minimum and a starting point for equipping your boat for the conditions you may meet while out there.

Be safe,

LB
post #10 of 11 Old 11-08-2011

I like to have something that will double as a harness to hoist the MOB if they are too weak or injured. Hence the Lifesling. However there's still the horseshoe too which is mainly used for throwing overboard when the helmsperson least expects it, for MOB drill.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.