Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-09-2011

cdhickey is on a distinguished road
Repairing wet core close to the hull-deck joint

I've got a stanchion that has a little "give" and appears to have some wet core and delamination around the stanchion base. I understand the proper way to repair the area generally speaking- remove top skin, dry/remove wet core, epoxy, etc- but I'm at a loss how to best deal with this repair so close to the edge of my deck.

Don Casey suggests always leaving 3 inches or so around a repair area for beveling and fairing, but what do I do when there is likely rot and delamination in this 3 inch perimeter? Pull it all out and accept that I will have a weak joint with no beveling on one side? Leave a perimeter but try to dig out any wet core from beneath it? I'm really at a loss as to how to best tackle this one!
Old 11-09-2011
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
A photo would help me decide what to tell you about the way I would handle it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2011

davester is on a distinguished road
my approach

I faced a similar situation, but I was not able to save and reuse the top skin. I built up some laminates near the perimeter so that the new top skin would have enough area to bond to. You might be able to use a similar technique even if you are reusing the top skin. Basically, the idea was just to extend the area of solid fiberglass that exists near the hull-deck joint on my boat.

This was my first time doing this type of repair - so it's not offered as expert advice. Another option would have been to remove the toe-rail to gain extra bonding area, or leave a lip, like you suggested. I tried that in a small area, but found it hard to work under the lip.

red = new skin
brown = new core
peach = built up strips of mat/epoxy

Note: I probably should have beveled the edge of the new core

just realized my signature is out of date -- this was on a Pearson, not the Jeanneau

Last edited by davester; 11-10-2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: sig shows different boat
Old 11-10-2011

ahab211 is on a distinguished road
I have the same issue with weak core around my starboard midship stanchion on my C&C 24. I don't want to fix it till I find how to drain standing water along my toe rail. Anyone have an idea how to drill a drain hole without weakening the rail or the fiberglass under it?