Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Deck organization

I'm thinking about changing some things on deck. I am thinking of running main halyard and reefing to the cockpit. I want to use two line reefing. Is there any reason the reefing lines need access to a winch? Seems they should be easy to pull in by hand (27 foot boat) if the main is luffed a little.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Mine will be led to the cabintop winches. I think a winch will be handy for pulling the clew down. Shouldn't be a problem though as you need a winch for the halyard anyway.
Old 11-10-2011
Barquito

My cabin top is kind of narrow, and the companionway of offset to stbd. I think I will only be able to have one winch on the port cabin top. So far here are the lines that need a place to go: main halyard, jib halyard, reef #1 tack, reef #1 clew, reef #2 tack, reef #2 clew, cunningham, and topping lift. I think the vang will go directly from the mast, and be reachable from the cockpit. If any can do without a winch, then a few might be able to go on the stbd side (maybe 4 inches between main hatch and hand rail).
Old 11-10-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Do you have a jib furler? If so the jib halyard can stay forward. On the other hand if not you might want a jib downhaul to help with lowering.

I see your problem though, it's getting a bit busy. My hatch is centered and I have a winch on each side which allows more room.
Old 11-10-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Use your clutch for your main and jib halyards, also for the reef line.
No real need to have a separate line for your reef tack on a 27 footer. Change it over to one line reefing and use a hook for the tack. Also, you can use a hook for the clew, only attach it when needed.

Topping lift? I'd get a boom kicker and get rid of it all together. The topping lift can be run to a cam cleat if you choose to keep it.

Cunni? No need for a winch, put a purchase on it, route it to the cockpit if you want, but it probably won't be adjusted very often.

I would like to keep the option for having the clew reefing line run to a winch. Downwind in a blow, it's nice to have the extra power and not have to hang out on the boom end to strap it down. Unless you're SOP is to turn into the wind to tuck one in. In racing we don't turn upwind, just keep going, drop halyard, make tack, blow sheet and vang, make halyard, clew, apply sheet, vang and outhaul.

Upwind is easier, just pinch up, and the boom drops in the cockpit when the halyard is eased.
mm2187 likes this.
Old 11-10-2011

mm2187 is on a distinguished road
I completly agree with zz4gta... no need for the reef tack let alone 2 on a 27 foot boat. I have a 36 and just use the rings built into the sail to reef. Do you really need the lines on the boat to be able to put 2 reefs in. Seems a little overkill. If it is that bad you could shake out the first reef and use the same lines again. Cunn and vang do not need a winch is there are blocks for multiplying force. You did not mention outhaul, is this built into your mast? a boom kicker or solid vang would get rid of two lines. I bought mine used and it works great.
Old 11-10-2011
Barquito

Quote:
Do you have a jib furler? If so the jib halyard can stay forward. On the other hand if not you might want a jib downhaul to help with lowering.
I'm sticking with hanked-on sails for now. I will run a down haul along the lifeline stanchons.
Quote:
No real need to have a separate line for your reef tack on a 27 footer. Change it over to one line reefing and use a hook for the tack. Also, you can use a hook for the clew, only attach it when needed.
I had a lot of friction on my Catalina 22 with one line reefing. I thought it might be more robust with a line for both tack and clew. Do you still have a line on the clew, and just hook in later? O/w you will have to get out of the cockpit to reef anyway, no?
Quote:
Downwind in a blow, it's nice to have the extra power...
That makes sense. I thought there might be a good reason.
Quote:
You did not mention outhaul, is this built into your mast? a boom kicker or solid vang would get rid of two lines. I bought mine used and it works great.
I am just going to keep the outhaul on the boom. Thanks for the thought about the solid vang. Might be a consideration.
Old 11-16-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I had a lot of friction on my Catalina 22 with one line reefing. I thought it might be more robust with a line for both tack and clew. Do you still have a line on the clew, and just hook in later? O/w you will have to get out of the cockpit to reef anyway, no?
http://www.harken.com/pdf/4171.pdf

There will be some friction, but that can be overcome with using some good blocks, different type of line, or just having someone bow the line to add tension should be able to get it worked out. On my boat I just go forward to make the tack, then lash the clew down to the boom and outhaul. No reefing lines rigged. Less weight and windage, and less distraction on the course.
Old 11-16-2011

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
I have a two line reefing system on my boat works like a charm.
- Little friction
- Easy to put in the reef

The pair of reefing lines are led to different sides of the hatch.
Two reefs in total four reefing lines
I use clutches for all lines lead back to the cockpit.

To fair lead to the winch I use a winch feeder from spinlock like this Welcome to the Spinlock Website

I think you can find a similar device from Harken
Old 11-16-2011
Barquito

I supose I could mock-up a single line reefing system, and see how well it works. If not then, would only have to add another block at the base of the mast. I guess I would like to have this set up so I don't have to get out of the cockpit. However, I would still need to go forward for the jib.