Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2011

robbieland is on a distinguished road
trailer lighting??

im taking, or hopefully taking my , new to me, O'day Daysailer 2 up the road, approximately 200 miles to a lake on Sunday. everything is ok to go except the trailer lights. i bought new ones, since the lights that came with boat and trailer didnt work. now i have installed the new system, following all directions and nothing. nothing works. ive tried various test, re-wiring, etc. and still nothing.
i bought a continuity or the likes tester, which alligators to one section and needles the connections. and from my car plug everything works: one lights when lights on, second lights with left turn indicator and third lights with right indicator on. so seems that is good. the wire set-up is four plug with ground wire screwed thightly to trailer frame, two wires back to left light and a ground from that section screwed tight to trailer frame and same for right side. what am i missing? any ideas? anyone? thanks for any thoughts! this is very frustrating and time consuming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2011
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
did you screw the ground to "bright" metal on the trailer frame? Rust or paint can cause your problem. check the continuity on the ground.
Izzy1414 likes this.
Old 11-11-2011
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
and a ground from that section screwed tight to trailer frame and same for right side.
What Kind of lights are you using..? Usually the lights ground thru the mounting bolts.... and the wires are for power..

Green is right (stop/turn)
Yellow is Left (stop/turn)
Brown is both (clearance)

White on the 4 way plug is ground to frame..

Unless you have the rubber mounted sealed units, then they supply a white wire for grounding to frame..

Make sure wires or bolts go to "shiney metal" as mentioned..

Also if trailer is a "Tilt" type....make sure ground is continuous thru hinge point (dissassemble and grind "shiney" or add a jumper for ground..)
Izzy1414 likes this.
Old 11-11-2011

the lights im attempting to use are brand named Blazer International , which are submersible Trailer lighting kit i purchased from Walmart. it has the four wires extending from plug to lights. two cords to each light, yellow and brown to left rear and green and brown to right. a white ground with eye loop extends from each light. i tried attaching the ground cords to mounting bolts, but since that didnt work, i drilled holes into trailer and bolted. the front ground as well as back two are securely bolted to clean solid part of trailer. the trailer is not a tilt.
Old 11-11-2011
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Take a piece of wire, attach it to the ground at the trailer tongue. Then try to find a spot on the tow vehicle to ground it to (bare spot on vehicle frame) If you get lights then the plug on the vehicle side does not have a good ground.

Last edited by bubb2; 11-11-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-11-2011

thanks!! ill give that a try tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2011
Banned

could be nothing more than corrosion on the ground post of the plug. Make sure that's good and shinny also.
Old 11-12-2011

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
Ground?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
Take a piece of wire, attach it to the ground at the trailer tongue. Then try to find a spot on the tow vehicle to ground it to (bare spot on vehicle frame) If you get lights then the plug on the vehicle side does not have a good ground.
This is the way to trouble shoot the problem. It is my experience that the ball and hitch do not make a good ground. That ground wire inside the 4 pin plug is needed for lights to work and the vehicle side has to go to a good ground while the trailer side also has to be grounded to the trailer frame. The other things I can think of are the turn signal flasher which might need to be changed for a heavy duty one, or if the tow vehicle uses a computer for controlling the lights, you will need relays for left, right, and tail lights. Check the owner's manual. Those computers will cause really strange things to happen, so go to Radio Shack and buy three 12 volt relays and wire them in. I had to do that on my 1995 Crown Victoria. If your vehicle has a trailer package, the relays should already be there. I have a 1995 F350 that has relays even for the backup lights.

Last edited by LakeSuperiorGeezer; 11-12-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-12-2011
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road
are there bulbs in the fixtures,,,,sounds like a grounding issue
Old 11-12-2011

PaulfromNWOnt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteGuy View Post
are there bulbs in the fixtures,
You know, that was the first thing I thought as well, but I imagine those kits from Wally World are fairly complete.

It does sound like a ground issue unless some of the lights work in which case you'll have a little more rooting around to do.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.