Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-19-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Arborite/Formica laminate is durable and the simplest. Available in solid colors as well as woodgrain and granite lookalike finishes, glossy or mat finish.
Formica Corporation : Laminate
Old 11-20-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Ahhh chris you haven't been following the thread closely enough! I have decided not to rip out the liner or make any drastic changes to the interior, because the cost of doing so wouldn't justify it. You are right, for the additional money I could just buy a bigger more seaworthy boat. As for time, I enjoy these kinds of projects immensely and can still sail the boat while the interior is being worked on.

I am, as someone on this thread recommended, starting small. I took out the countertop of the galley, giving me access to the area underneath the cockpit floor. The countertop is old and stained, peeling laminate, etc., so I am going to build a new one from a sheet of plywood and some countertop material. I am leaning towards bamboo flooring ($44 at home depot), but may do laminate ($66) I'm not sure. I think the bamboo would look nice and be very durable, but the laminate is seamless and also durable...

While the area is opened up, I will install a battery box under the cockpit floor (frees up the cockpit locker). I will make this accessible from an already existing panel cutout in the cockpit locker. I then plan on making a baffled watertank, and using the remaining space under the cockpit floor for that.

Then in place of the original top opening cooler, I'm pretty sure that I will put in a mini fridge. At the slip it will be nice to have, and for the cruising I do next year I will ensure that it easily comes out and the space can be used for a standard igloo type cooler.

This should keep my hands full for now.

Honestly though, any thoughts on the bamboo countertop, aesthetically?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2011

You mean the bamboo flooring like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Refitting for the Spring-21546.bamboo_plank_4.jpg  
Old 11-20-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Bamboo is water resistant, but soft and easily damaged. I have it on my kitchen floor at home and would not do it again. Just rolling out the fridge will mark it. I would not use it for countertops.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-20-2011

As far as I can tell it looks like bamboo but is a laminate. There will be seams though as the planks are 54" x 7 11/16".

To paraphrase:
"Transform your boat into an asian retreat"
Attached Thumbnails
Refitting for the Spring-1.jpg  
Old 11-20-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Not sure about the product referenced, but some flooring materials are not solid. Rather they can have what appears to be particle board backers, which I've found from experience, do not like moisture at all. I had a basement buckle, despite having put underlayment as directed. I would never use that on a boat for any purpose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-20-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Galley Countertops

I once saw a boat galley that was refurbished with tile counter tops. I really liked how it looked and might consider doing it on our boat.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 11-20-2011

It is a vinyl type of flooring all through. My partner used it on a boat we were re-doing in the pilothouse - but not in bamboo.
Old 11-20-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Not sure about the product referenced, but some flooring materials are not solid. Rather they can have what appears to be particle board backers, which I've found from experience, do not like moisture at all. I had a basement buckle, despite having put underlayment as directed. I would never use that on a boat for any purpose.
This is the kind of first hand experience I was looking for. Yes, the material I was looking at is only about 3/8" real bamboo on top, with what seems like a really cheap softwood backer running perpendicular to the grain of the bamboo. The pieces click together like traditional solid hardwood flooring. I didn't think about the possibility of delamination...

I have also seen some solid bamboo flooring, which would I suppose not risk delamination since it has no backing. It is far heavier though.

I am surprised you say the bamboo is soft, I thought it was supposed to be extremely dense, that is supposedly one of its strong points... but first hand experience beats marketing I suppose. Then again, I don't foresee sliding a refrigerator on this countertop...

As far as laminates, it would be the perfect solution I know. I may just go with it in the end. But... the boat is already a plastic tupperware if you think of it, I feel like something "real" would add visual appeal to the interior...

Maybe I'll check out the tiles idea, if they wouldn't be too heavy. What sized tiles was that boat using? The small ones or the big ones? I wonder which would come out lighter...

Last edited by peterchech; 11-20-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: details details
Old 11-20-2011

There is nothing wrong with laminate until it tries to look like something it's not. Remember the woodgrain laminate of years past? As long as it is a solid color it looks good. There are also many laminates that look like granite or stone of some kind that can look good if that's what you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Refitting for the Spring-3725901_-1_20110930171329_15_0.jpg   Refitting for the Spring-1818476_14-2.jpg   Refitting for the Spring-40050_35e.jpg   Refitting for the Spring-7014_colorado-slate.jpg   Refitting for the Spring-515_graphite-grafix.jpg