Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2011
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
Stackpacks, Lazyjacks, and Mainsail Facts!

I must admit the one thing I dread is putting the mainsail away. I have lazyjacks with a conventional sail-tie and buckle-down cover setup. I have uttered many profanities at the end of the sailing day.

What's the scoop on the Stack-Pack or mainsail drop-bag (term?) setup? I've seen a few threads on the subject, but I'm still confused?

- Can this type of bag work with my existing lazyjacks?

- Do you have to have full-batten sail for this system? Doyle shows full battens in their photos.

- Can't you just have a canvas shop make one that works around the lazys and flake it into the bag as you zip it up?

- Can the bag roll and tie up along the boom or does it have to stay vertically extended under sail?

- I'd like to see your setup if you have one!

- David
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
I must admit the one thing I dread is putting the mainsail away. I have lazyjacks with a conventional sail-tie and buckle-down cover setup. I have uttered many profanities at the end of the sailing day.

What's the scoop on the Stack-Pack or mainsail drop-bag (term?) setup? I've seen a few threads on the subject, but I'm still confused?

- Can this type of bag work with my existing lazyjacks? YES

- Do you have to have full-batten sail for this system? Doyle shows full battens in their photos. NO

- Can't you just have a canvas shop make one that works around the lazys and flake it into the bag as you zip it up? YES, also, no flaking - it stacks itself. Just drop and zip.

- Can the bag roll and tie up along the boom or does it have to stay vertically extended under sail? Just slumps down along the boom, captured against it by the jacks

- I'd like to see your setup if you have one!

- David
We chartered a 47' Harmony in the Virgins last spring. It was the only boat I've sailed with any of the setups you mentioned and I loved it.

It was lazyjacks with a permanently mounted cover that the jacks went through. It wasn't in very good shape - the cover was well worn and we had to spend time adjusting the jacks - they had kind of slumped or pulled so they were over on the starboard side more than port. Despite this, even when badly adjusted, it was WAY better than flaking and tying a conventional main. It was set up permanently deployed. I'd be inclined to make it so it could be eased and clipped out of the way at the mast.

There was no need for full battens to make it work. The battens hanging up on the topping lift when raising & lowering required a bit of intervention but not a problem.

Best of all, other than the specially cut sailcover, it was all owner built and used a standard main - very low cost. I've seen designs that suggest using micro blocks at every line interface. I can't see this for any reason other than to buy some cool new gear. They would add a lot of cost as well as chafe on the sail. Spliced eyes at each line intersection worked just fine. Remember the KISS principle.

I'd strongly recommend it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-12-2011
s/v Tiger Lily

Thanks. Very helpful!
Old 11-12-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
My new-to-me Cal 33-2 came with a Dutchman system. FAR superior to any lazy jack system. Sail just drops onto the boom like magic, and no hanging up or constant adjusting like jacks. Love it.
Old 11-12-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
My new-to-me Cal 33-2 came with a Dutchman system. FAR superior to any lazy jack system. Sail just drops onto the boom like magic, and no hanging up or constant adjusting like jacks. Love it.
Is that the system where vertical lines are threaded through grommets in the sail? Kind of like a suspension bridge cabling?

If so (even if not) what was the cost? Any downside or inconveniences?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-12-2011
s/v Tiger Lily

With the Dutchman you take the main cover off when underway?
Old 11-12-2011

delite is on a distinguished road
Sloop I believe you are correct. I assume these lines would attach to the topping lift and the boom. I wonder if the sail gets hung up if lines are not in perfect alignment? Would they hang up if you had an emergency and had to get the sail down quickly without pointing into the wind?
Old 11-12-2011

Michael K is on a distinguished road
I've had a Dutchman system and it worked fairly well. It really does make a mainsail flake onto the boom well enough that little more needs doing than securing sail ties and putting the cover on. Getting the vertical lines through all the grommets on the sail was a PITA yet after that proper alignment was easily achieved. But the Stackpack or equivalent method appeals to me more as the cover is ready and waiting at all times and there aren't quite so many (intentional) holes in the sail. I've heard that full battens hang up on lazyjacks a bit too often when raising a mainsail. To remedy that problem some have anchored the top end of the jacks to the spreaders, creating a "V". I'll be trying this approach on a new rig next Spring.
Old 11-12-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We changed our Harken lazy jacks this year for EZ jacks. They are far superior and very easy to deploy to drop the sail and hold it until its easy to tie it up. In additon the have a simple but effective way to release them and get them out of the way when you are not using them, so there is no way they are up when you raise the sail so no hangin g up the battens.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...j4Z39QAoZ0s67Q

Our EZ jacks are on blocks on the spreaders.

I would be concerned with them permanently in place as they would chafe the sails. Even though I beleive the Dutchman system may flake better, i dont like the idea of placing more holes in my sail.

As far as the stack pack, my friends who have tyhem have mixed reveiws. The positives are that it is very easy to zip up the final act of putting away your sail. Their negatives are increased windage and danagling fabric when underway, increased windage at anchor as it appears to be higher off the boom than a regular sail cover, and sometimes the top zipper hight is high to reach to zip up the top of the bag.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-13-2011

arisatx is on a distinguished road
My rigger set us up with stowable lazy-jacks, kinda like the EZ Jacks. We went a bit "high tech" with 1/8" spectra to catch the mainsail - end for end spliced to double braid where it comes down from the spreaders and ties off to the mast cleats. And Antal low friction rings to build the cascading legs. Once the mainsail is dropped, we stow the lazy jacks under the reefing horns - so we can use a conventional mainsail cover, as well as no batten hangups next time we raise the mainsail.
V42#186
s/v Little Wing

Tags
flaking , main furling , sail bag , stackpack