I forgot to post what happened last month when motoring down to the pump out in anticipation of last weeks pull out for the season.
Running with the tide and the motor about mid rpm (don't have a tach) Brisk morning air beautiful sunny day; Suddenly; "thump, thumpity thump, screech, silence" It finally happened! Prop jammed!
Well first thing I did was, curse a blue streak at the River.
( that didn't help) Turn off the engine.. put the trans in neutral. Then started making phone calls, then I deployed the Genoa, and turned the boat around, she was sailing nicely back up river against the flow with the wind just off the port side.
(not often on this river) One of the guys at the club was ready to come tow me back. I asked him wait as I seemed to be making good the trip back without the engine. During this, I started thinking what to do. tried the engine it started.. "whew, OK there". put in gear.. "Screeeech!" no good there! Shut it down and sailed a little more with the trans in neutral. Then I had an Idea!
Put the throttle all the back so the engine would not start.. put it in reverse.. tapped the starter, "clunk, clunk, bumpity bump" under the boat.. I look back and see a piece of log, with lots of blue paint on it. "Hmmmm" me thinks, OK let's see what happens now (I'm thinking all the worst case problems) it starts and goes in gear, and starts the boat moving like nothing happened! Well I was a bit shaken and still worried, but since she wasn't taking on water and the PSS seal was OK. I waited until she was pulled last week.. On looking things over. no damage that I could find. Had a friend look, he agreed I was lucky "this time" Only thing that changed is the friction on the cutless bearing. The shaft free wheels now, when before the prop didn't free wheel with the trans in neutral.
The joys of river sailing and motoring.