Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Log, prop, hull, Jammed!

I forgot to post what happened last month when motoring down to the pump out in anticipation of last weeks pull out for the season.

Running with the tide and the motor about mid rpm (don't have a tach) Brisk morning air beautiful sunny day; Suddenly; "thump, thumpity thump, screech, silence" It finally happened! Prop jammed!

Well first thing I did was, curse a blue streak at the River. ( that didn't help) Turn off the engine.. put the trans in neutral. Then started making phone calls, then I deployed the Genoa, and turned the boat around, she was sailing nicely back up river against the flow with the wind just off the port side. (not often on this river) One of the guys at the club was ready to come tow me back. I asked him wait as I seemed to be making good the trip back without the engine. During this, I started thinking what to do. tried the engine it started.. "whew, OK there". put in gear.. "Screeeech!" no good there! Shut it down and sailed a little more with the trans in neutral. Then I had an Idea! Put the throttle all the back so the engine would not start.. put it in reverse.. tapped the starter, "clunk, clunk, bumpity bump" under the boat.. I look back and see a piece of log, with lots of blue paint on it. "Hmmmm" me thinks, OK let's see what happens now (I'm thinking all the worst case problems) it starts and goes in gear, and starts the boat moving like nothing happened! Well I was a bit shaken and still worried, but since she wasn't taking on water and the PSS seal was OK. I waited until she was pulled last week.. On looking things over. no damage that I could find. Had a friend look, he agreed I was lucky "this time" Only thing that changed is the friction on the cutless bearing. The shaft free wheels now, when before the prop didn't free wheel with the trans in neutral.

The joys of river sailing and motoring.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Glad to hear there isn't any obvious damage, but I'm wondering what allowed the prop to stop and it didn't kill the engine? I'm suspecting clutch plates in the trans were spinning, which shouldn't happen, and now they are in even worse shape. Either that or your prop was spinning on the shaft which is unlikely. I would drain the trans fluid and look for metal and or clutch material in it. If the clutch plates are worn it may start spinning on you when under a heavy load. Darn those logs, we've got lot's of them around here too.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 11-13-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
oh.. the engine did stop instantly when the prop jammed. my bad on the way I wrote things.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-13-2011
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
hi denise. i hope you don't have any trans problems. i don't like the screeech sound. what kind of a trans do you have ? i got a hawser wrapped on the prop in the hudson river when delivering a power boat from maine to lake superior just before hurricane bob. i put it in reverse and was lucky that it came off.
Old 11-13-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Ah, good news then Denise!

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 11-13-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

It's a Hurth. Not really sure about the sound (happened so quick) it was more like a sound a car trans makes when you jam it in park on hill. Like a slipping ratchet? During the summer I was worried it was slipping when it wouldn't go in gear one time. It just kinda didn't "catch" Changed the fluid twice, hasn't done it again. Seemed ok after that.

It's only 16 hp, maybe that saved the day? Higher horsepower = more damage

my current "project"!
Old 11-13-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Only thing that changed is the friction on the cutless bearing. The shaft free wheels now, when before the prop didn't free wheel with the trans in neutral.

The joys of river sailing and motoring.
Interesting way to adjust your shaft alignment.
deniseO30 likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-13-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

SJB yes I was thinking the same thing! Must be loose mounts for sure!

my current "project"!
Old 11-13-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"The shaft free wheels now, when before the prop didn't free wheel with the trans in neutral. "
OK, bearing in mind I'm a pessimist and would love to be wrong about this, but it sounds like something in the transmission/clutch has been broken. Or at least "readjusted" to a significant degree.
It is hauled, it is winter, no hurry...Why not call Hurth and ask them what this could mean? I suspect they are going to tell you to have the transmission opened up and inspected for internal damage, at which point you might do some overhauling. And then of course check the engine rear seal and drivetrain alignment for other "invisible" damage from the incident.
That might sound too pessimistic and conservative--but at least you'll be certain you can start next season 100% reliable.

Anytime something "impacts" a drivetrain, any kind of drivetrain, you can get all sorts of odd damages all the way through it. Only one real way to make sure that you don't, you have to get eyes and fingers into everything that stopped spinning.

And if you're lucky, there's no damage and only some kind of adjustment needed in the tranny.
Old 11-13-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
once down in the gulf my prop picked up a crab pot [theres a milion or more there during crab season]the engine abruptly locked,i dove down several times and eventually cut/untangled/unwraped the pot rope,restarted the engine and was very relieved that there seemed to be no damage,if you have no unusual vibration and the trans is working normally i wouldn't worry about it btw avoid the tombigbee during the spring floods beau coup drift[logs,trees and god knows what],i'm happy to hear all is well with your boat