Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-14-2011

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
Lewmar 16st winch questions

I am looking to upgrade my cabin top winch from the barlow 18 non self tailing to a Lewmar 16st. My question is in regards to what material. I see there is Aluminum(cheapest), then chrome and finally bronze. is it worth the extra money for the bronze units or will the aluminum be just fine for the salt water environment?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
I am looking to upgrade my cabin top winch from the barlow 18 non self tailing to a Lewmar 16st. My question is in regards to what material. I see there is Aluminum(cheapest), then chrome and finally bronze. is it worth the extra money for the bronze units or will the aluminum be just fine for the salt water environment? Thanks
Pay the extra and get bronze. Aluminium winches are supposedly "lighter" but IMHO that's a joke - only the drum is alloy so even on a big winch you only save a couple of pounds. The anodized surface will wear and fade so they look crummy and they are far more easily damaged by hardware hitting them etc.

Chromed are usually, if not always, chromed bronze. They look nice & shiny for a few years then the chrome starts to pit, peel and wear through and also look crummy. To my mind chrome plating has no place on a boat - it will ALWAYS fail, inside or out. If you like the look, use stainless steel.

Bronze looks good polished or weathered, never suffers from corrosion and is in all ways the best marine metal IMHO. Pieces of Roman and older bronze hardware and art are brought up in perfect condition after a couple of thousand years on the seabed.

If stainless steel is available,it is great if you like your winches shiny. I've got 40 year old S/S Barients on my boat and they polish up near new.

If I was shopping for new winches I think I'd pay the price and get Andersen stainless steel.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-14-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Anderson? I won't argue with that.

The 40's were new, the 28's came with the boat but were moved.
Before installation:
Attached Thumbnails
Lewmar 16st winch questions-dscn0317.jpg  
Old 11-15-2011

overbored is on a distinguished road
I have 6 gray aluminum Lewmars that are 15 years old and are used hard during races. they have held up very well and still look like new. no worn thru anodizing. it is really hard stuff. I lube them once a years at the start of the season and never had a problem. the andersons are nice but they do cost about 1.5 times the lewmars. the stainless does require polishing to look like new. I have had every type of winch over the years and so far the aluminum ones require the least amount work and always look good. check with Mauri pro sailing for the best prices on either brand
Old 11-15-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
In the pic above the 40's are new but the 28's are at least 5 yrs old and have never been polished.
Old 11-15-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
I have 6 gray aluminum Lewmars that are 15 years old and are used hard during races. they have held up very well and still look like new. no worn thru anodizing. it is really hard stuff. I lube them once a years at the start of the season and never had a problem. the andersons are nice but they do cost about 1.5 times the lewmars. the stainless does require polishing to look like new. I have had every type of winch over the years and so far the aluminum ones require the least amount work and always look good. check with Mauri pro sailing for the best prices on either brand
^^^ what he said^^^^ Don't tell my old AL Barients that they don't last. In the end, the battle of hard steel pawls on softer bronze internal parts will often determine the ultimate life span of a winch. Stainless isn't 'stain-proof'... it's 'stain-less'.
Old 11-15-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
^^^ what he said^^^^ Don't tell my old AL Barients that they don't last. In the end, the battle of hard steel pawls on softer bronze internal parts will often determine the ultimate life span of a winch. Stainless isn't 'stain-proof'... it's 'stain-less'.
I've got a pair of alloy Barient 736's as primaries and a variety of smaller S/S Barients for halyards etc. I can pop the drums off the S/S winches, bring them home and polish them on my buffing wheel to near new. The alloys, although years newer look way older and will have to be re-anodized to look good again.

I've never seen properly lubricated winches wear out due to the pawls friction. Actually, I've never seen properly maintained winches wear out PERIOD.

P.S. I believe pawls are sintered metal of some sort - I don't believe they are harder than the ratchets they run in.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 11-16-2011 at 02:41 AM.