SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   yard dragged my keel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/80832-yard-dragged-my-keel.html)

ahab211 11-16-2011 09:52 AM

yard dragged my keel

Haul out is never a fun time but this year I had an unfortunate incident! The yard owner hit the wall, then dragged it for twenty feet before I got his attention. It is a twenty four C&C and has a four foot, what looks to be lead keel. I was a little taken back but accepted the comment from him that he thought it. Was high enough to clear the wall! He offered and then filed a small gouge where it hit the wall. I then proceeded to back my SUV into a nearby electrical shore box while Moving it! OUCH! Upon further inspection on the keel there is a flat spot afoot long where it was dragged and a jagged spot on the stern starboard side of the keel. I asked him to grind it and shape it for me. He agreed to in the spring. The forward keel bolt has a slight twist to it that was already there. Getting to my question, what damage could there be, is grinding sufficient to smooth out the front edge of the keel is the keel in fact lead with no covering? Thanks

celenoglu 11-16-2011 10:21 AM

Lead keels are soft enough for attachment. The connection of the lead to the keel isprobably affected. Check also the keel connection bolts.

Shaping the lead bulb is the easiest part.

sailingfool 11-16-2011 10:41 AM

Your 24 has a lead keel which is very easily repaired. The keel attachment on that generation boat is very robust and i doubt banging around in the yard would have any material effect.

rugosa 11-16-2011 10:55 AM

Like others said, reshaping the bruised lead is the small job. Although the keel/sump joint is robust you should still take closer look at or get someone besides the yard owner to look at. If there is a new 'smile' at the front joint it has moved, but could still be tight. Worst case is you'll be looking for slow leak source next summer. Surprised you don't know keel is lead. It's all in the owner's manual.;)

sailingfool 11-16-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugosa (Post 797498)
.... If there is a new 'smile' at the front joint it has moved, but could still be tight. Worst case is you'll be looking for slow leak source next summer. ....

The C&C smile doesn't leak.

msmith10 11-16-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahab211 (Post 797475)
The forward keel bolt has a slight twist to it that was already there.

Please explain?

ahab211 11-18-2011 09:19 AM

When I bought it needed some repair and one of the things I checked was loose keel bolts. The front one was loose and it might have moved! It tightened well and with no leakage seemed to be all right. The keel bolts are in good shape and checked often but the front one is off center. I clean up the keel joint and Caulked it with bondo and primed it after this latest incident. It seems any damage looks cosmetic, thanks for the feedback and I'll google the manual as like I said the boat needed minor interior repair and didn't have much equipment.