SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Oil.. or Varnish...?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Squidd 
#1 ·
Topside trim work...

Putting on new Cumaru rub rails and grab rails and need to sand and refinish companionway teak ...

Do I want to "oil" my wood with say Australian Timber Oil or Mesmers...for open grain wet look...

Or four coats of varnish...? For glossy hard coat...?

Or just let it all age gray...?

#6 ·
Cetol is the best looking low maintenance exterior finish. Oil collects dirt easily and varnish turns into a career.

For the interior whatever you wish - gloss varnish with the final coats mat finish looks great and will last years inside.

#7 ·
Topside trim work...

Putting on new Cumaru rub rails and grab rails and need to sand and refinish companionway teak ...

Do I want to "oil" my wood with say Australian Timber Oil or Mesmers...for open grain wet look...

Or four coats of varnish...? For glossy hard coat...?

Or just let it all age gray...?
Bare, scrubbed wood looks O/K for little work.

Oil looks better for more work.

Varnish looks the best for the most work.

Cetol falls in between oil & varnish for both looks and work.

All IMHO of course.

#8 ·
I've used Cetol products on log homes and trims...

Sikens Cetol 1 and 2-3plus, SRD, HLJ, and the newer Cetol one step products...

Not familiar with the "marine" version, But doesn't it build up after after a couple applications and then "flake" or peel off leaving a huge mess to try to touch up..?

At least that's what I've seen of their exterior products...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.