SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What do you look from your sailing gear?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  jackdale 
#1 ·
Fellow sailors!

I am a sailor and a concept designer from Finland. Im currently starting a small project for a local company which makes sailing and survival suites. My task is to find new concepts to improve the existing line of drysuites and off shore sailing gears (pants and jackets).

Basically I am interest of all kind of user experience and feedback of your current gears. What do you like about them and what kinds of things you would like to have in them? Like water proof pockets, reflectors, place for lights and phone etc.

All ideas and comments are wellcome.
Best regards, Nico

#2 ·
I was just watching a video on the Sydney Hobart race, and this is something that occurred to me:

One fellow went over the side and was unconscious. When his buddy tried to pull him back aboard, his jacket with integrated harness pulled over his head and almost ended in tragedy. Not knowing the gear, I was wondering why leg loops weren't integrated into the jacket to prevent it from pulling over the head.

I also like to carry "stuff" with me. I'm not sure about water proof pockets, but I like the idea of places to carry the little things. I'm currently looking (in my area, not online) for an inflatable PFD (like SOSpenders) that also has an extra webbing loop or two, or even a small pocket or two to carry a cell phone, and a rigging knife.
Places for whistles, reflectors, strobes, and the like would also be a cool addition.

#5 ·
As noted above, I want pockets, places to carry "stuff" and loops...some webbed loops
that I might bet my life on if needed...having said that...don't want to be catching
all that stuff on rigging or whatever...can loops be positioned near
slits (pockets) so stuff is carried inside but immediately available without opening a zipper. Surely the price point would be out of my reach!

#6 ·
I am a little unclear as to whether this is going to be a gumby (Mustang) suit or simply foul weather gear.

For a gumby suit, built in flotation (in addition to the suit's normal natural boyancy) might not be a bad idea. If you can make that flotation work so it can keep an unconsious person face up, even better. Attachment points for things like strobe lights, and maybe even an integrated SPOT personal EPIRB.

#7 ·
First I want to thank you guys for helping me out!
Our idea is to come up with usefull ideas for good quality foul weather suites. The company I'm working with has an existing line for sailors already and I have been using some of their products while being on the sea.

I just try to find usefull ideas to really stand out from the others, keeping mind the usability and security factors.

Keep on throwing the ideas, even those crazy ones...
Thanks, Nico

#8 ·
If it were to be an integrated jacket/harness, how about some strong points from which to haul someone back aboard (like a couple of handles). If there were leg loops as well, then an unconscious victim could be hauled aboard more easily.

Extra padding in key locations covered by extra durable fabric.
Pockets that easily drain when filled (I don't need the gear inside to stay dry, but not carrying around extra water is a plus.
How about a removable lining for various temperature ranges.

#11 ·
My coastal Helly Hansen jacket has a tether for a ball cap. The cay is necessaryto prevent the brim of the hood from obscuring vision.

Pants
Waterproof, breathable, knee and butt padding (my HH Offshore bib has Kevlar), Fleece pockets at chest level in the bib pants for warming hands. A pouch at chest level and cargo pockets in the pants (self-draining).

Jacket
A neck guard that tucks away ( a la my Gill Atlantic jacket). Inside pockets. Pockets on the arms that will hold mini flares, a chest high pocket for my PLB (with a clip for its tether), adjustable rubber cuffs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.