Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011

mccrook1 is on a distinguished road
Diesel engine, top sides, hull, and woodwork repair

New member here. I've grown up most of my life sailing with my father. He has a nice Cape Cod Marlin 23 foot Cruiser that he brought back to life as his retirement present to himself about 20 years ago. The boat has been sitting now for about 9 years in his yard due to physical issues with aging. I've been asking him for a the last couple of years for him to let me get the boat water ready and sail it. He surprised me this year by saying yes and also telling me that he is giving me the boat. I've gotten quotes for all the work. The 12hp Westerbeke diesel is not seized. The wood work needs to be all done (no replacing wood but complete revarnishing and everything that goes along with it), the hull and topsides show signs of cracking. The hull mainly near the rub rail, the topsides mostly in the bow area. Like I said, I've gotten quotes from our Marina and am wondering if anyone else thinks they are probably high. Engine $1,600, Top sides Deck painting $3,850, Hull painting $3,000, Wood work toe rail, bow sprit, cockpit coaming, lazarette hatch and hand rails oiled, cockpit floor $2,400. I've already got someone elsd for the engine. Any thoughts on if this is too much money to expect to pay for these services wood be helpful. This boat is going to get done one way or another. This is a Herreshoff designed boat and I'm going sail it. Also, I am in southern Rhode Island and if anyone has suggestions on where to get additional estimates or suggestions I am all ears. I just get the sense the these prices are a bit high, but perhaps I am wrong. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
whats wrong with the engine?have you tried starting it?the diesel may have jelled and clogged the injection pump/injectors,i assume the $1600 is for a rebuild right?and yeah the other prices seem high
Old 11-21-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
(2011 base without the diesel is 80,000) so its gonna cost a bit more than normal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 11-21-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-21-2011

canoso1751 is on a distinguished road
not rocket science

There are many good books out there that will tell you how to do it all,,with possible exception of the deisel. Sanding and painting is just hard work,
Oiling the teak again if you can follow directions you can do it. Get on Craig's list and find a deisel mechanic looking for Christmas money on the side. This all assumes you have more time than money. Prices do sound high bit I am a tightwad
Old 11-21-2011

mccrook1 is on a distinguished road
@ sawingknots - The engine simply hasn't been run and has been sitting for about 9 years. I do have a diesel mechanic that does side work who is going to work along with me, so I will be learning as I go. I believe the engine quote was for a rebuild and it may not even need it. Should save me some money. @ tommays, I realize that I'm going to spend money on this and the value of what I have. Still think its a bit high though. @canoso1751 - like many of us short on time and money. May have to find the time though. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-22-2011
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Prices seem reasonable to me, infact sounds like pretty rockbottom for a professional yard.

Are topsides being awlgripped? If so, $150-200 per foot are common going rates, so $3000 is low. Awlgripping a deck is about twice the hull rate, assuming all hardware is removed and rebedded, only $3,850 is disconcertingly low. This sounds like just taping the fittings and brushing on some house paint. If the deck is not done artfully and well, you'll be looking at an unpleasant result, always in sight and underhand, for the rest of the life of the boat.

My advice is check out somewhere like NEB New England Boatworks Builders of advanced composite sailing and power yachts, visit there and see the quality of the work they do. You are likely to pay substantially more, but are likely to get everything you pay for, and have a gem that will put a smile on your face for 20 years.
Old 11-22-2011

those little diesel engines are amazingly tough and usually last for a long time,sometimes diesel jells after several years so i would be supprized if yours hasn't too
but you never know,if it has you will need to completely disasemble and clean the injector pump,filter and fuel tank and buy some rebuilt injectors,as for the hull unless the gelcoat has some very deep scratches it may just need a good buffing with some buffing compound,even light scratches can be erased,why don't you post some pic's so we can have an idea .unless your independly wealthy because if your not careful you'll have more money in your boat than is believable
Old 11-22-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
You know, at some point you'll better serve yourself and your boat to learn how to do these things yourself, so why not now? The prices that have been quoted are not extremely high, it's just a labor intensive job. Outside of the engine work, from what I'm reading everything you're looking to do is refinish/painting, is that correct? If it is, and if the boat is still at your Father's house, sounds to me like it's time to learn how wield a sander and paint brush and how to varnish. The sense of accomplishment, getting to really know your boat and education for the continual maintenance these beauties demand will prove to be invaluable. Plus, I've got this feeling your father could be a good teacher and may even enjoy the task. Good luck and keep us posted.
sawingknots likes this.
Old 11-22-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
The hullwork alone will set you back about $8K. That price is pretty reasonable for a yard to do it, but it doesn't FEEL reasonable, does it? If I was you, I'd hit up Amazon, get a copy of Don Casey's This Old Boat and his Hull Repair guide, and read up over the winter. When you are making up your Christmas list, ask for tape, a sander, sandpaper (Lee Valley has a REALLY good deal on Norton 3X now), a buttload of chip brushes and rollers, scrapers, gloves etc. Anything you can remove from the boat and work on in the comfort of your warm home over the winter, do it now. TRegarding the hull and deck, I would advise taking a week off from work in the spring and getting her done. For $1000 in materials you can have a bright shiny hull and deck that is repairable in the future when you need to touch up the inevitable scuffs and scratches, and you will KNOW how to repair it.

Old 11-22-2011

bj is right,at least to my way of thinking,you can with a gob of money get all your work done at a boat yard but that won't insure its done right,most boat yards pay their employees about $12 bucks an hour then charge you $75,even on a newer well maintained boat theres an awlfully lot that can and will breakdown at exactly the wrong moment,if you've done most of the work/repairs yourself at least you have an idea where to look and how to atleast jury rig it to get you to a safe port,besides half the fun of a boat is working on it,repairing ,improving and making it truely your boat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.