Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-25-2003

GordMay is on a distinguished road
At anchor in heavy weather

The "Bosun Supplies" diagram is illustrative, but I take issue with their sizing (length & diameter).
They recommend a rather short snubber, about = to bow freeboard. On my C&C-29, this would be about 4'', which might provide around 6-7" of stretch. I''d prefer more, and use a much longer (50'') snubber; normally deploying about 10-15''. This allows about 24" of stretch. I''d deploy the snubber with about 20" of slack chain, so that I expect the chain to take up, prior to the rope breaking (except under the very worst "snatch" loads). When the chain goes taut, the noise & jerk act as a danger - high load alarm.

Bosun also advises that the snubber diameter approximate a rope rode diameter (from their chart); whereas I''d prefer something slightly smaller. I''m ultimately anchored to chain, not the snubber.

An interesting side tale:
Moored to 150'' of 3/8" H.T.chain @ a depth of 24'' - 28'', in the Bahamas, I tied a 5'' length of 1/8" (or 3/16") flag halyard (temporary snubber) to my mooring chain, slacking the chain about 18". The small stuff was well protected against chafe at the fairlead only (nothing @ chain nor cleat).
I forgot about this temporary snubber, and it remained in place, taking all the loading that occurred through about 4 winter months! The mooring was adjacent to Big Rock Cut (Staniel Cay), where the tidal run hits 6 knots; and we endured the normal complement of winter northers etc.
My point: Rope seldom breaks constant under loading - it chafes or abrades, or breaks under shock.
OMO
Gord
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook