Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RossC32

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2011

RossC32 is on a distinguished road
Liquid or 'thin' caulking?

A hatch on my boat is leaking rainwater between the frame and the plexi-glass(?) window. Repairing this will mean removing the glass (I using "glass" rather broadly here) and installing a proper gasket. However, removing, then replacing, the glass will be a major project for several reasons: there are stainless screws going through the glass to hold it into the aluminum frame & these are probably very stuck. The aluminum hatch dog-assembly is bolted through the glass and the bolts are fixed with a tiny set screw that has rusted quite severely. I can't get these to budge. I suspect these will have to be drilled out and then new holes tapped and new set screws installed.

So, my question: For my winter, rainy Vancouver area sailing is there any way I can seal this glass/frame leak temporarily? I was wondering if there is some kind of liquid caulking that might penetrate the very thin gap and then solidify into rubbery seal. I suppose some kind of narrow tape over top of the glass/frame joint might also work but what kind of tape? Right now, I just have a small tarp over the hatch and this is not too bad but cuts the daylight into the cabin.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Ross
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossC32 View Post
A hatch on my boat is leaking rainwater between the frame and the plexi-glass(?) window. Repairing this will mean removing the glass (I using "glass" rather broadly here) and installing a proper gasket. However, removing, then replacing, the glass will be a major project for several reasons: there are stainless screws going through the glass to hold it into the aluminum frame & these are probably very stuck. The aluminum hatch dog-assembly is bolted through the glass and the bolts are fixed with a tiny set screw that has rusted quite severely. I can't get these to budge. I suspect these will have to be drilled out and then new holes tapped and new set screws installed.

So, my question: For my winter, rainy Vancouver area sailing is there any way I can seal this glass/frame leak temporarily? I was wondering if there is some kind of liquid caulking that might penetrate the very thin gap and then solidify into rubbery seal. I suppose some kind of narrow tape over top of the glass/frame joint might also work but what kind of tape? Right now, I just have a small tarp over the hatch and this is not too bad but cuts the daylight into the cabin. Thanks for any suggestions. Ross
Is the lens going to be reused? I suspect it is plexi and will need replacing if the rest of the hardware is as bad as you make out.

If you plan to reuse the lens, I'd not attempt any temporary fix - leave the cover over it until spring. The reason is that any tape or sealant used for a temporary fix will most likely deteriorate the lens. No tape will last that long without welding itself down. Sealant put over the existing sealant will end up on the lens and be next to impossible to remove without scratching the lens.

On the other hand, if you plan on making a new lens, just bodge up the leak with some weatherproof sealant.

There are some threads on this forum that detail the replacement of a hatch lens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-25-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
For a temporary and I mean temporary fix try Armorall vinyl protectorant from an auto part store.

You may need to reapply every few days but this will keep out most wind driven rain.
Old 11-25-2011

chuckbauer is on a distinguished road
Take a look at Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. It is just what you described, a thin liquid that cures to a rubbery consistency. I've used it for various thin cracks including the house toilet tank. Works great.
Old 11-25-2011

Pdavid is on a distinguished road
Try crack creep from west marine
Old 11-25-2011
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
Another vote for Capt Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. I'd make it my first attempt for sure. Not as good as a proper rebedding but might buy you some time.
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 11-26-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
I also use Capt Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure for all those "good enough" fixes that Ulladh and I like to make. I've been meaning to recommend this stuff to Ulladh for awhile, since I think it is a much more permanent fix than Armorall.

But I would check carefully before using Crack Cure to seal around plexiglass to make sure it is compatible. It looks and smells like a waterbased latex formula (either Vinyl acetate like Elmers glue, or possibly PMMA, which would be more UV stable). If it's the latter, its adhesion to plexiglass should be very good, but be careful not to let any excess drool down the window because you may not get it off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 11-27-2011

Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure sounds exactly what I was looking for. I see that there is a distributor here in Vancouver (B.C.) I'll check out the product pages and try to ascertain that it won't damage the plexiglass. Anyone know if there is a problem?

Thanks for the replies to my thread! SailNet is an amazing resource.
Cheers,
Ross
Old 11-28-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
I may try Capt Tolleys in the next few days before the temp drop to much. 50's F + during the day and 40's F over night the next few days.

I found the an original manufacturer for my "Claytonrite" window rubber but the size I need is no longer made, and custom new aluminum frame windows will use up to much of my self imposed annual budget.

The Armorall was just to buy time until items ahead of the ports are complete.
Old 10-04-2012

Re: Liquid or 'thin' caulking?

Just a quick follow up. I used Capt Tolleys last winter and spring and found it very effective. Used it to seal around a couple of screws in the cockpit lockers and a few other places. As long as it crack 'sucks' the stuff in and then can't anymore, it works great. I even used it to seal around a leaking hatch handle where it went through the plexiglass. Stopped the leak completely... until I turned the handle! Good though, even here, for a temporary solution.
davidpm likes this.