Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-26-2011

H and E is on a distinguished road
Line Storage

Yesterday we were walking the dock and looking at other sailboats and how they were set up. I looked at one that had net bags to collect the lines at the forward bulkhead in the cockpit. I have looked for them, however have not yet found them. They look to be a good thing to have to keep the lines stored.

Currently I just coil them up and hang on the winches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
I coil and hang. I have seen some bags that were not mesh and that means they may take longer to dry when wet.

Are you asking where you can buy the bags?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 11-26-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
Tons of chandlerys carry them. Here's just one that a quick Google search revealed;
STANDOUT YACHT FITTINGS | Products | Complete Product List
Old 11-26-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I've always wondered if it just becomes a rats nest of lines in those bags. I've seen them, but never had them myself. I coil and hang on winches for short layovers. For overnights, I coil, tie off and line them up separately on the cabin top.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-26-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
No rat's nest and it is faster to use bags

You would never coil and anchor rode, for certainty that it would tangle on the drop. Racers wouldn't use them if they did, and they do use them

However, bagged lines are slow to dry (never it seems) and will get some algae growth. On the plus side, it keeps them out of the sun. It does not shorten their lives. I have used bags for 20 years on several boats.

I have always sewn my own, as the commercial bags never suited the space I had; not difficult.

I must admit I don't quite understand the "coil on the winch" approach anyway. Most of my winches serve several lines, at least on occasion, so having a line parked on the winch seems like double parking. By keeping the lines in bags (one compartment for each line--very important) the winches are free and the lines are always ready to run, just like a rode in a chain locker.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Last edited by pdqaltair; 11-26-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-26-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
You would never coil and anchor rode, for certainty that it would tangle on the drop.
I'm sure the OP wasn't referring to anchor lines.

Quote:
I have always sewn my own, as the commercial bags never suited the space I had; not difficult.
Great idea.

Quote:
I must admit I don't quite understand the "coil on the winch" approach anyway. Most of my winches serve several lines, at least on occasion, so having a line parked on the winch seems like double parking. By keeping the lines in bags (one compartment for each line--very important) the winches are free and the lines are always ready to run, just like a rode in a chain locker.
Since the OP referred to walking the dock, I assumed that we are talking about using bags while being tied up, not underway, so there is no interference with the winch's intended purpose.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 11-26-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I too would not consider coiling lines over the winches while underway. It seemed clear we were discussing lines in the cockpit at rest.

However, a separate compartment for each line seems to make more sense if used underway.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-26-2011

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road
We removed the bags the minute we bought our boat in 1998. We just coil the lines on themselves and let the hand as backrests in the cockpit. Not too hard.

Reply #1 photo: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,860.0.html

Last edited by Stu Jackson; 11-26-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-26-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
All good comments.

1. Bags that are poorly located are a curse. For many boats their may be no good location, both near the winches and out-of-the-way, and then they are the wrong answer. I've both moved and removed bags that didn't serve well. Good locations can be very hard or impossible to find on many boats.

2. The anchor line reference was only an illustration intended to show that line flaked in a box, bin, or proper bag should play out freely. I hope it did not come across as somehow insulting. I did not intend that.

3. Dock vs. underway. I have sailed with folks who stored coils on winches while sailing, so that was the basis of the comment. I've sailed with folks who toss everything on the cockpit floor, and I don't like that much.

We use the bag underway in the sense that any line not in use is stowed. However, before launching a chute , tacking, or jibing, the affected lines are removed and flaked on seats as required.

I should add that I developed the habit on flush-decked performance multihulls that were frequently swept by waves. Some were pockets in the tramp.

I also like on-deck lashing points around the mast; and easy way to handle a big collection of halyards and reefing lines.

http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2010/05/scraps.html
http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...-upgrades.html

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Last edited by pdqaltair; 11-26-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-26-2011
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
When convenient, I'll take the coil and hang it from a lifeline with a cow hitch, using the whole coil.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.