Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011

ACapri is on a distinguished road
28ft Croatian white oak sloop

Hey guys, just about a year ago I picked up this 28ft no name sloop, built and sailed from Dalmatia, Croatia. 28ft with a 10ft beam, The hull is built from 1 1/2" thick white oak planking and the frame is built from Dalmatian Pine. The boat is in really great shape overall and doesntt need much work to be floated.

The Problem:
The previous owner, in preparation for replacing the rotten bow stem, cut the planking on the bow in all sorts of weird ways. I've crafted a new bow stem but honestly have no clue what to do with the bow planking.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated, I've attached some pictures.

In the last picture you can see the boat after hurricane irene had a go at my enclosure, but you can also see the completed bow stem secured to the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
28ft Croatian white oak sloop-2.jpg   28ft Croatian white oak sloop-4.jpg   28ft Croatian white oak sloop-6.jpg   28ft Croatian white oak sloop-8.jpg   28ft Croatian white oak sloop-9.jpg  

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2011

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
At least half of the planking should be cut further aft, then you can re plank the boat.
Old 11-28-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
You should post this on the Woodenboat Forum.
He probably cut back to good wood in each plank. You can extend those planks by butt blocks or scarfs. If you butt them you should space the butts so that three frames or three planks seperate adjacent butts. Scarfing might be a good solution, but oak does not hold glue well if thick.
Old 11-28-2011

mikel1 is on a distinguished road
Best consult Charlie Cobra . . .
Old 11-29-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel1 View Post
best consult charlie cobra . . .

+1
Old 11-29-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
As others have more or less suggested, you should remove the forward existing planking back to the first butt block on each plank. Care should be taken in removing the planks to mark the frame where each plank crosses the frames and mark the plank where each plank crosses frame so that you do not have to try to 'line off' the planks yourself. If you are careful, you should be able to use the existing planks as a pattern and take off the bevels, as well as the general shapes.

Looking at your photos, my hunch is that you may have this backward. I would suspect that the frames are oak and the planking is 1 1/2" thick Dalmatian Pine.

I am actually familiar with these boats. When I lived in Savannah in the late 1970's and early 1980's, I had a friend who owned a Concordia Yawl and who bought one of these for his wife to mess with. I sailed with them a few times. I must say his boat did not sail all that well. One of the reasons that I was sailing on the boat was to try to help the owner develop modifications to try to help the boat's sailing ability. In the end, he had bought the boat so cheaply that he decided it was not worth putting any money into.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by tdw; 11-29-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-30-2011

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
Agree with Jeff H on lumber,pine is difficult to bend oak is almost impossible.Would use juniper or cypress instead of pine.marc
Old 11-30-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
And here I thought a simple steam box would allow any wood to be bent like taffy.
Old 11-30-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
It would. But also the planks really don't bend that much. They bend along the hull, the up and down shape is cut into them. But you might find that those are pretty uniform. Try bending a standard (1x4?) piece against the planking to see how it goes. Some planks will bend easily into place, others require leverage. Few need steam.
Old 03-26-2012

pesimus is on a distinguished road
Re: 28ft Croatian white oak sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACapri View Post
Hey guys, just about a year ago I picked up this 28ft no name sloop, built and sailed from Dalmatia, Croatia. 28ft with a 10ft beam, The hull is built from 1 1/2" thick white oak planking and the frame is built from Dalmatian Pine.
I live in Split, Croatia, and I have similar boat, but mine is in much worse condition. Those boats were built in Betina, vilage with small shipyard on Murter Island in Croatian part of Adriatic sea, in '60 and '70, and most of them were exported in USA.
This is not noname boat. It's name is Viking 28.
The hull is built from pine (1") on oak's frame (1 1/2").
I am interested to see your progress, can you post more pictures?

Tags
boat building , construction , wood