Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2011

fiatracer163 is on a distinguished road
New sails if I can decide who should make them

I need some feedback from others on this one. I'm looking at buying sails for a Catalina 27 tall and would like to know what others think of different sail makers, and their quality.

UK, North, Hyde, sailwarehouse.com, nationalsail.com.

chicago sail show coming up and will probably wait to see if they will offer any deals at the show.

Other sails or suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2011

norsearayder is on a distinguished road
fx sails just made me a new set of offshore sails.heavy with triple reef main ,awesome ..faster and points like an english setter
Old 11-29-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I have become a big fan of Quantum Sails. I switched from North to Quantum a few years ago, and never looked back (except to see where my competition ended up).

Seriously, I have used quite a few lofts over the years and have been very impressed with Quantum's personal service and attention to details.

In terms of lthe ower cost production lofts, my experience has been that there is a huge difference between the big lofts and the small lofts. The big lofts tend to have better quality control and more sophisticated stress mapping and shaping programs. This shows up in the long term durability of the sail, as well as in having a wider wind range for any given sail.

Sails out of the cheaper production lofts do not go through the same rigourous fabric testing and inspection, and tend to have simplier, lower performing panel layouts.

In the past, when I have priced sails during the " Boat show special discount period" I have found comparatively small price differences between the lofts, and if you find that to be the case with your sail, then I would suggest that Quantum should be a no-brainer. North makes good sails, but they do not seem to want to pay attention to the individual customer and that makes a big difference if you are not buying one of thier 'stock' sails.
Gladrags1 and chef2sail like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 11-29-2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Typos galore
Old 11-29-2011
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
I am in the process of buying new sails for my Bayfield 36 and am looking at Quantum as well. The sailsrep (pun intended) is very helpful and knowledgeable. Others have given them high recommendations as well.

It is very important to have your boat measured for it's new suit of sails as sometimes things are different from published specs. This is important no matter who you buy from. If they won't measure, then how will you know if they will make good on any future issues?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gladrags1; 11-29-2011 at 06:05 PM. Reason: edit typos
Old 11-29-2011

Irunbird is on a distinguished road
I agree with the Quantum vote. Much of it might depend on your use (racing vs cruising), but on the east coast, it seems really hard to beat Quantum for availability and response time. If you cruise, and have time to wait for shipping, take a look at Rolly-Tasker- they may be more affordable than the bigger names you're already looking at.
Old 11-29-2011

fiatracer163 is on a distinguished road
Looking for cheap sails, this is my first boat and will not keep it for too long.
Old 11-30-2011

jeffgauvin is on a distinguished road
I am fairly new to sailing and I would certainly consider what the more experienced members have said. However, if you are looking for cheaper sails consider Lee Sails. I am new to sailing and bought a 30 foot Islander about 4 years ago on the San Francisco bay. The sails were shot and, like you, I didn’t want to spend too much on new sails. I bought them at the boat show in Oakland three years ago. The salesman came out to my boat and took all the measurements. Once the sails were delivered he returned and helped me install the new sails. As they are made in Hong Kong, he said if I found anything that appeared flawed with the sails or the way they were cut I could take them to a local sail maker and they would pick up the tab. The sails seem to be very well made and I have had no problems. I have sailed a lot on the bay and now in Santa Barbara and have had no regrets. Remember, I’m still pretty much of a rookie and may be fooled. I have had some pretty experienced sailors come out with me and they agreed they seemed like fine sails. Search some of the old SailNet threads and you can find out what others think about Lee sails. Good luck.
Old 11-30-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I would go to the show armed with an idea of what prices are from an online loft. Here's link to FX Sails.

Catalina 27 Tall Rig
Old 11-30-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I got a couple of North Sails at the Annapolis show a few years ago and their show discount was 25% while most lofts had 10%. The result was that North was cheaper than just about everyone and this included having the sales rep come to the boat to take measurements and then deliver the sales and install them to make sure they were ok. I think that customer attention like that matters and I am not suggesting that North has it and others do not. Just do your homework on price and find out exactly what is included. BTW, the North sails were made in Sri Lanka so they should be cost-competitive. We have sailed 20,000 miles with the #2 in use almost all the time and the shape is still surprisingly good. I suspect we should be able to complete a circumnav with it requiring only a few wear and tear repairs (chafe issues)
Old 11-30-2011

glassdad is on a distinguished road
I used Ullman Sails in Ventura. The owner Gary Swensen was very helpful. I have a Catalina 30. He said he had one in stock that he could modify to add in an additional reef. He had the sail completed and installed on the boat in less than a week. Since you have a Catalina 27, some sailmakers should have it in stock and give you a good price.