Washing Sunbrella cushion covers - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-08-2011 Thread Starter

Washing Sunbrella cushion covers

After two seasons, I think its time to clean my Sunbrella cushion covers. I checked Sunbrella's web site, and the instructions are that they can be washed in the washing machine using cold water, then air dried. It said use soap but not detergent, which I don't understand. What's soap? Do they mean something like Woolite that says it is for delicate fabrics?

I did see that they said not to dry clean, and not to use hot water or heat to dry it. Then I have to apply the water repellant spray. That's fine, its worth it to get these cleaned.

Anyone else try this?

Helios
Scampi 30 MK-IV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-08-2011

Soap is may be the first cleaning agent made by humans. It is a combination of oil (or fats) with Sodium hydroxide. It is still used in Turkey and most countries. Its chemistry is different than detergents.

may be you an use mild detergents but it is best to use soap.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-08-2011

I am very reluctant to take the covers off, as things like that never seem to go back together well for me. Sunbrella shouldn't shrink in the wash, but I'm still uneasy.

I wash mine in the spring with a very soft brush and spray Tuf Enuf, which use for everything, then hose them off and let dry thoroughly in the sun. Next year, I am going to apply 303 protectant afterward. 303 also makes a cleaner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-08-2011

Use Woolite.

Tim R.
Our Carina is for sale
1997 Caliber 40LRC

-----------------------------------------------------
post #5 of 9 Old 12-08-2011

Sunbrella is an acrylic fabric. What you don't use any type of detergent. That can damage the fabric and remove the waterproofing. I follow the instructions in the link.

http://www.easyawn.com/pdf/CareAndCleaning.pdf

For Soap I use 303

303 Products, Inc.: Sunbrella Marine Fabrics Care Video

Dave
s/v "eclipse"
Mystic CT
2007 Hunter 49
post #6 of 9 Old 12-08-2011
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
After two seasons, I think its time to clean my Sunbrella cushion covers. I checked Sunbrella's web site, and the instructions are that they can be washed in the washing machine using cold water, then air dried. It said use soap but not detergent, which I don't understand. What's soap? Do they mean something like Woolite that says it is for delicate fabrics?

I did see that they said not to dry clean, and not to use hot water or heat to dry it. Then I have to apply the water repellant spray. That's fine, its worth it to get these cleaned.

Anyone else try this?
Unless your cushions are made with an open cell foam (they shouldn't be) there is no reason to remove the covers for cleaning. Use a bucket with warm (not hot) water, Woolite and a bit of Oxyclean, and a soft brush and give the surfaces a good scrub and then flush with fresh water. Really tough spots can (usually) be removed with a shot of 409 and a splash of liquid bleach but should be thoroughly rinsed with fresh water. Then stand the cushions on edge and let them air-dry.

We have been using the foregoing method on our cushions for 10+ years with good results. If the cushion covers begin to show water absorption, you can treat them with some 303 water proofing.

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #7 of 9 Old 12-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Unless your cushions are made with an open cell foam (they shouldn't be) there is no reason to remove the covers for cleaning....
True for exterior cushions but interior cushions are usually made with open cell foam.

Tim R.
Our Carina is for sale
1997 Caliber 40LRC

-----------------------------------------------------
post #8 of 9 Old 12-08-2011 Thread Starter

It just seemed easier to toss the covers into the washing machine, although I don't know what soap is available that can pour into the washer. I'll try Woolite on one cover and see what happens. Thanks everyone!

Helios
Scampi 30 MK-IV

post #9 of 9 Old 12-08-2011

If it's a top loader, I would be worried that the agitator would put a beating on the stitching. Not sure about the front loader either.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.