Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011

Cherie320 is on a distinguished road
Sears sells low profile plastic tool boxes that are designed to fit under a car or truck seat. They work well for separating parts and tools by type. They are available in small, medium and large sizes so you can fit the space available. There are some items that are too large for this type box, so a bag is needed to hold the odd shaped tools.

Cheers - Pat
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Nav station- the nautical equivalent of the kitchen junk drawer.
It is not referred to as a JUNK drawer, its official appellation is Dad's drawer.

One of my long standing, unfulfilled ambitions is to do a tool storage setup like I once saw in a photo of a very high end boat - a Hinckley or Swan IIRC. It had a stack of drawers in the side of the chart table, opening into the passageway. Each drawer was custom fitted with specific tools - a screwdriver drawer, a combination wrench drawer etc. The tools were fitted into custom shaped recesses and then it was covered in fabric or flocking or something.

Absolutely custom and deluxe and gorgeous and foolproof.

Building one has now progressed to my bucket list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-15-2011

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Hi Leslie,

I keep the tools in 2 small plastic tool boxes that are stored in the cabin behind the setee. One tool box contains tools that are used frequently and the other not so much. Another plastic storage container is also kept in the same location which contains screws and clamps and odds and ends. One tool that is kept out and available for immediate use is a screw driver with multiple attachments. A hammer is kept in its own unique location as is the 5 lb sledge for those difficult jobs.
Old 12-15-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Sloop, I've seen that kind of arrangement but I realise that when I'm working on something I invariably take tool box or bag up on deck. The drawer thing sounds nice, looks fabulous, but I'm not sure how practical the setup would prove to be.

We have a nice space under the centreline seat of the dinette. I keep a number of those storage containers that Cherie320 mentioned earlier and three plastic tool boxes of different sizes in there. Intend changing at least some of the tool boxes into soft tool bags. One box is exclusively spanners (wrenches) but finding the right size is irritating so intend wrapping spanners by metric and imperial.

I don't bother putting protective gunk on tools. I find that good quality chromed tools seem to stand up pretty well. I do line tool boxes with absorbent cloth.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-15-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
One drawer for common screwdrivers and emergency stuff. Canvas gym back for ele trical all in zip lock, another canvas for pipe plumping stuff, another for power tools. All stow easily in one of the sections behind one of the setee bvacks I have dedicated for tools and spare parts. I also have a small canvas bag I put the tools I need to do the job should I have to do the unthinkable acnd dive to the depths of the lazarett to work on something like the stuffing box or steering quadrant deep in the bowels of the stern.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-15-2011

captflood is on a distinguished road
GREETINGS EARTHLINGS I use childs butty boxes lots of different colours and all about the same size. they are cheap and held closed with a off-cut from an lod inertube tyer. Brass bits . stainless screws, Sail fittings. Running riging, standing rigging, engine tools, engine spears. bungy and ends,Electrical repair, and electrical testing equip. all small and very stackable into little places on the boat and they are cheap. GO SAFE !
Old 12-17-2011

arisatx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb3pwc View Post
For the past few years we have used a commercially available black and red tool bag (satchel shape) that includes side pockets on the outside and the inner portion of the satchel holds the larger tools but I have to say, it is not an easy to use solution and it is hard to stow.

How do you organize and store your tools? There are so many approaches from hard tool boxes, pockets that are rolled up, trays that have slots for each tool. It needs to be functional for storage, easy to handle with visibility for accessing tools. Your thoughts and ideas are so needed...

with thanks,

Leslie

s/v Tango, Cabo Rico 34
On the Hard
Lankford Bay Marina
Chester River, MD
Leslie:
We use a Veto Pro Pac XL tool bag - not inexpensive, but bulletproof and well thought out:

While not specifically in the "tool" category, for shackles, big thimbles, we find these canvas "parachute" bags pretty handy:

MedSailor likes this.
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
Old 12-17-2011

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
It is not referred to as a JUNK drawer, its official appellation is Dad's drawer.

+10!

I have one of those in my house!

Last edited by sailordave; 12-17-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-17-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I used to keep mothballs with my tools since they sublimate and leave a coating that locks rust. But apparently those vapors are not good to breath in any quantity so I splurged on some 3M "chips" that are sold to block corrosion the same way. They look like waxy yellow postage stamps, you scatter them around the things/places where you want to discourage rust and replace them as they melt away.
Sold in tool specialty shops and as shooting/gunsmith supplies, and they seem to work very well, in the usual 3M fashion. If all else fails--call 3M, they can tell you where to buy any of their products.
Old 12-17-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I used to keep mothballs with my tools since they sublimate and leave a coating that locks rust. But apparently those vapors are not good to breath in any quantity so I splurged on some 3M "chips" that are sold to block corrosion the same way. They look like waxy yellow postage stamps, you scatter them around the things/places where you want to discourage rust and replace them as they melt away.
Sold in tool specialty shops and as shooting/gunsmith supplies, and they seem to work very well, in the usual 3M fashion. If all else fails--call 3M, they can tell you where to buy any of their products.
Has anyone tried a bag of silica gel in their toolbox? It SHOULD, according to its reputation, keep things dry and it can be baked to reactivate it when it has absorbed all the moisture it can.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.