SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Tools Aboard How do you store em?

12K views 34 replies 29 participants last post by  tdw 
#1 ·
For the past few years we have used a commercially available black and red tool bag (satchel shape) that includes side pockets on the outside and the inner portion of the satchel holds the larger tools but I have to say, it is not an easy to use solution and it is hard to stow.

How do you organize and store your tools? There are so many approaches from hard tool boxes, pockets that are rolled up, trays that have slots for each tool. It needs to be functional for storage, easy to handle with visibility for accessing tools. Your thoughts and ideas are so needed...

with thanks,

Leslie

s/v Tango, Cabo Rico 34
On the Hard
Lankford Bay Marina
Chester River, MD

#34 ·
Silica Gel will absorb moisture (weather it's enclosed or not). If you use enough of it (larger volumes) it will work in a large area. Also for smaller areas and being on your sail boat it might be best to get something that is moisture indicating (you can see color change when absorbed) and a product that you get extras in a zipper seal moisture barrier bag so you can keep them handy to use. Try something like this:

Dry-Packs by Absorbent Industries - Moisture Absorbing Silica Gel Indicating Packets (Desiccant) - SilicaGelPackets.com

#35 · (Edited)
Shot of the storage on the Womboat. Soft bags instead of hard boxes would make it easier to pack and allow a bit more room. Large organisers are under the three boxes, largest box is under the small organisers. I keep power tools elsewhere.

ps - Sloop ... ref your dig at Stanley ... I can only agree. They were once the ant's pants but honestly the stuff I see today is just rubbish. I even bought cheap copies of Stanley organisers cos they were quite obviously better than the real thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.