Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011

kb3pwc is on a distinguished road
Tools Aboard How do you store em?

For the past few years we have used a commercially available black and red tool bag (satchel shape) that includes side pockets on the outside and the inner portion of the satchel holds the larger tools but I have to say, it is not an easy to use solution and it is hard to stow.

How do you organize and store your tools? There are so many approaches from hard tool boxes, pockets that are rolled up, trays that have slots for each tool. It needs to be functional for storage, easy to handle with visibility for accessing tools. Your thoughts and ideas are so needed...

with thanks,

Leslie

s/v Tango, Cabo Rico 34
On the Hard
Lankford Bay Marina
Chester River, MD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
A soft tool bag for:
tools that are not sockets, box end wrenches, hex keys and ratchets. Sockets, wrenches, hex keys and ratchets all stay in their hard case ( some sort of 3,457 piece socket set I bought years ago that has more than paid for itself. A tool roll holds chisels. A small plastic single tray tool box is the "electrical box"- holds wire stripper, soldering iron, terminals etc.,
Last I have an old back pack which holds cordless tools- drill, driver, circular saw.

All of it fits in the locker under the quarter berth, a space about 3' x 2' x 1' high.

All the tool boxes/bags have containers of silica gel in them to ward off rust.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-12-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
I use a small weather proof case ( about the size of two sixpacks) that is made of some moisture repelling plastic....and it works....for tools.

I use tackle/lure boxes for crimp stuff, another for small, another for stainless, and so on...

does make a difference.

BTW, I have drilled or attached sunglass lanyards to ratchet handles and crucial drivers....as I am prone to dropping things and did not want to lose something that said MAC or SnapOn....

all the best
Old 12-12-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
i just throw mine in the bilge,adds ballast and if they get rusty no matter i won't have the one i really need anyway, actually i put the electric power tools in a rubbermaid tub and the hand tools in a water proof bag,the frequently used ones i keep in a drawer near the engine compartment
Old 12-12-2011
For'n aft'r

Ocarina II is on a distinguished road
I built a wood tool chest with a bunch of trays and partitions and tarted it up with cast brass corners and antique style leather trunk handles. I worked the boats name into a sheet brass oval and varnished the outside. I painted the inside in the accent colour of my boat and fitted loops to hold the specific tools I imagined needing. The box lives under the Dinette or between the v-berth bunks on the deck and is not an eyesore.
Old 12-12-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
i forgot to mention the ones i'm storing in the brink
Old 12-12-2011

Undadar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb3pwc View Post
How do you organize and store your tools? There are so many approaches from hard tool boxes, pockets that are rolled up, trays that have slots for each tool.
Great question. I am slowly learning several things but am a newbie so I'm sure I have lots more to learn.

First, hard cases waste a lot of space due to packing them into odd compartment shapes - I'm slowly going to soft cases/bags for everything.

Second, steel rusts. I'm from a dry climate and am not familiar with this problem. I've been spraying tools with Tool & Die Saver and keeping them in plastic bags. Success is poor (and kinda sticky). I need to try the others suggestions in regards to silica. I actually bought a big bag of it from a hobby store but haven't tried it yet.

I know... No secrets of the universe there....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience. ó George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-12-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Multiple soft tool bags, Home Depot or Lowes (Los Depot is usually where I tell people I am going or Howes Depot).

Different bags for electrical, sockets and wrenches, shackles, paint stuff, epoxy stuff and one bag for random stuff.
Old 12-12-2011

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road
1. satchel for traveling with basic tools and all my electrical stuff

2. hard case tool set with everything

3. daily main tool box is the nav station desk with kitchen separators - work great, I put a spring holder on the desktop
Old 12-12-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
3. daily main tool box is the nav station desk with kitchen separators - work great, I put a spring holder on the desktop
Sounds good, but then where do you put all the crap that has nowhere else to live? My Nav station desk has an assortment of keys, pens, knives, whipping line, tide books, stereo remote, Sampson Brade splicing set, charging chords, tape measurer, and a bunch of other stuff that seemed important at one time...
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.