SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   How to let "new" mahogany go grey? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/81833-how-let-new-mahogany-go-grey.html)

chrisncate 12-16-2011 10:02 PM

How to let "new" mahogany go grey?

Just bolt it up "raw" I suppose?

?

I got some trim pieces (quarter rounds and two wedges) that I'd like to let go grey cause I think it'd look snazzy in contrast to the larger varnished pieces they connect to...

bljones 12-16-2011 11:51 PM

oil it.

CalebD 12-17-2011 12:52 AM

My first thought was oil it too. +1 BLJones
Too much Linseed oil and it can get pretty dark.

One thought. Use some duct tape to masquerade as the gray areas you are thinking about. Duct tape is almost gray.
If you like it then why not paint, or better yet stain, you mahogany a gray color. You could even use Japan colors to stain it. Ronan Paints-sign paint,fluorescent paints,clear coatings,decorative paints,japan color,graphic paints,faux finish,metallic paint,scenic paints
I don't think that mahogany grays as gracefully as teak does and still holds it's strength.
Looking good in the re-fit department though.

mitiempo 12-17-2011 01:13 AM

You really can't let mahogany go unprotected and grey like teak. It will need replacement soon if you do. Teal has natural oils that protect it and it will not rot if left bare - mahogany will.

Capt Len 12-17-2011 09:26 PM

Idea! Mix some diesel fuel with zinc napthelate and try it on a sample of mahogany.Might surprise you.

chrisncate 12-18-2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitiempo (Post 807596)
You really can't let mahogany go unprotected and grey like teak. It will need replacement soon if you do. Teal has natural oils that protect it and it will not rot if left bare - mahogany will.

That's what I was afraid of... I kind of figured but I thought I'd inquire at least..

What's the diesel/zinc napthalate thing do?

mitiempo 12-18-2011 08:07 PM

Makes it slippery and smells?:D

CalebD 12-18-2011 09:08 PM

The zinc probably will make it a bit more gray. The diesel will make it slippery and smelly as Brian suggests.
You should seriously look into using the Japan colors I linked that will stain it any color or shade you like. Other gray stains will do the same thing but you can have more control over the nuances with Japan colors.

mitiempo 12-18-2011 09:12 PM

There is a good reason that teak is the predominant wood used on the exterior of a boat.:)

chrisncate 12-18-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 808154)
The zinc probably will make it a bit more gray. The diesel will make it slippery and smelly as Brian suggests.
You should seriously look into using the Japan colors I linked that will stain it any color or shade you like. Other gray stains will do the same thing but you can have more control over the nuances with Japan colors.

Well, the idea was to achieve that natural patina... naturally.. but thanks for the info nonetheless. I'm just going to varnish the pieces, maybe someday I'll replicate these trim pieces in teak and let them then go grey. Prolly not.

Teak may be the best boat wood for the wear, but it's mahogany hands down for the beauty.. :)