SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

G10 backing plates

12K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  pdqaltair 
#1 ·
New to me sailboat. Bow and stern cleats are backed w/ nothing but fender washers!:eek: But hey, they've worked for 20 years.

My plan is to replace them w/ G10 epoxied to the underside of the deck structure and then use longer bolts and fender washers to beef things up.
Boat is 36', 13000#
My QUESTION is.... .25" or .50" G10.

My guess is .25" will be sufficient, but I want to hear from the resident "experts" on this.

#2 · (Edited)
New to me sailboat. Bow and stern cleats are backed w/ nothing but fender washers!:eek: But hey, they've worked for 20 years.
Mine are too. Our cleats have survived 32 years, five hurricanes and too many Nor' Easters to count. If done right with good old fashioned THICK fender washers they can be fine so long as the deck is solid and dry.

My plan is to replace them w/ G10 epoxied to the underside of the deck structure and then use longer bolts and fender washers to beef things up.
Boat is 36', 13000#

My guess is .25" will be sufficient, but I want to hear from the resident "experts" on this.
Perhaps 90% of the boats out there have cleats backed with fender washers and while they can, on occasion pull out, they are often associated with wet core when they do. I have seen fender washer backed cleats fail before the cleat pulled through the deck.. Remember they are not being pulled straight up..

If you feel this is necessary then 1/4" G10 would be a decent choice as would 3/8" or 1/2" or......

#7 ·
Mine are too. Our cleats have survived 32 years, five hurricanes and too many Nor' Easters to count. If done right with good old fashioned THICK fender washers they can be fine so long as the deck is solid and dry.
Yours are this way b/c mine are too. Or vice versa. B/c I just bought a CS Merlin!

The cleats probably ARE okay this way but I just want to back them properly and then move on to sealing the deck core and rebedding all the deck gear.

There also is one small area where the core did not bond to the deck but is not wet. I'm going to put a big ass backing plate under the genoa turning block JUST TO BE SURE. (per the survey rec's)

I was pretty sure .25" would be sufficient.

Yes, AL is easy to work and all but just want to keep more metal out of the boat.

#3 ·
G10 = strong

It's been a few years, but I dimly recall using 5/16 or 3/8 under all of our stanchions and pulpits when rebedding and improving. Backers were about 6 X 8 inches, IIRC, and set in epoxy mush; the deck above is like a rock in those places. G10 is stout stuff.
FWIW, all of our factory cleats are backed up with 1/4 aluminum.

LB

#5 ·
I used 3/16" thick G 10 for all backing plates and that is more then double the thickness of the glass that it is reinforcing. anything more is just a waste of money. this stuff is very strong and will break the bolts or tear the surrounding deck before the g10 will break. you will have to cut the stuff and the 3/16" is easy to do with a carbide edge saw blade.

#15 ·
+1 on the aluminium. I have been using 1/4" aluminium for years and it works great. Very easy to work - cuts with wood tools for the most part. You don't get fiberglass itch when working it either. It's a lot cheaper than G10 if you get some scrap sheet at a metal recycler. I got a 3' X 2' hunk for $8 and I've still got some left after 2 boats. If you take some care making them - rounded corners and edges and buff them before installing them, they look very nice as well - if you appreciate the "mechanical" look.

One factor often overlooked is that it takes shorter fasteners than thick G10 or plywood backers - long fasteners are much more expensive and can even be hard to come by.

I still use fender washers between the nuts and the backing plate.

#9 ·

Boat is 36', 13000#

I figure this is a trick question. There simply is not enough information, unless the responder has done surgery on this specific boat (some may have).

What is the existing deck lay-up? Cored or solid?

On my boat the deck varies from cored with thin skins, to thicker skins, to very thick solid lay-up, depending on the area. The cleats and winches were mounted in areas with NO CORE, specifically for this reason. So, without knowing, we are just guessing. But most quality manufacturers will build without core in the bow cleat areas.

I'm guessing--so is everyone else so I might as well--that even a thin layer of reinforcement that is well bonded to the underside will add far more strength than you realize. Anything beyond 1/4-inch would be silly and 1/8-inch is probably very suitable. By bonding the FRP it should act as a part of the laminate, not as a fender washer, and far less is needed. Taper the edges at least 5:1 to avoid a hard spot. Use plain--not fender washers--as they are thicker and will better transfer force to the G10. Fender washers will just dish (not enough to see) and will only apply force on the very edge of the new stiffer laminate.

#11 ·
Very true.

When thick, they very nearly are backing plates. For most loads, even quite large, they are very adequate. Still, I often fabricate aluminum or FRP backing plates when substantial fender washers would do as well; if I'm in the shop, scrap is free, the time is minimal with a drill press, band saw and grinder at hand, and it makes for a neater job with fewer parts and less cost.

When thin, far more common, they give only a false impression of security when the load becomes extreme.

#12 ·
fender washers

I was deck assembly lead hand on 27, 33, 36T for 4.5 years and we never cut corners because Raymond Wall (designer) and Matt Sterling (plant manager) kept tight control:D. You should expect factory installed deck hardware on your Merlin to be bolted through solid frp or areas cored in plywood. Thick fender washers were standard also. The factory standard continued into the Tony Castro designs too:). May not be the case where an owner or yard has added hardware.

#13 ·
I was deck assembly lead hand on 27, 33, 36T for 4.5 years and we never cut corners because Raymond Wall (designer) and Matt Sterling (plant manager) kept tight control:D. You should expect factory installed deck hardware on your Merlin to be bolted through solid frp or areas cored in plywood. Thick fender washers were standard also. The factory standard continued into the Tony Castro designs too:). May not be the case where an owner or yard has added hardware.
And THANK YOU !!! Over 80% of our boats deck hardware is un-rebedded and none of it leaks or has leaked in 32 years (almost 33 now)! . Even when I pulled the chain plates at year 31 they were still bone dry.. You guys built a hell of a product..! Probably could have saved some money on fasteners on the hull deck joint...:D

Genny track at year 32 and hull /deck joint in the background... Overkill is good!

P.S. Do you have any pics from the factory from when you were there? I'd love to see some layup and assembly pics...

#14 ·
Thanks for the compliment Maine Sail - sorry, no pics from the factory unless they are at the bottom of a trunk full to the top with photos & negatives. Do have some pics from working on Canada One and True North.

Butyl was the tried and true bedding material for almost everything except ports, phenolic main hatch slides, aluminum mast collar ring, few other things. I bet the Beckson ports leak on most of them after a while, tried all sorts of sealants. The optional Gebo fixed ports (I think most of them went to Europe) with tempered glass were bedded in butyl too. BTW, we rigged two 36T's as cutters with club foots. One went to Vancouver, still in touch with one of the owners although she is now back on Lake Ontario.

What year is your 36? How long yours? Any major problems? Email keithmoore@cogeco.ca if you like. Cheers!

#18 ·
G-10 makes great backing plate (6-8mm should suffice), however overkill. 1/8-1/4" aluminum is much cheaper , just as easy to work with and will do the same job. I typically lay up carbon plate and use G-10 rod as a compression post for ea. thru-bolt (drilled out for the bolt, of course). ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.