Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2011

SanSimon is on a distinguished road
Hauling boat home for painting

Has anyone had their boat (we have an E27) hauled and put on the hard in their own yard - as in residence? And if so, how? how much? and which hauling company?

How did you haul your boat into your yard?

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by Faster; 12-26-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-25-2011

SailingWebGuy is on a distinguished road
Yes. I had a C30 hauled to my house for about 6 months. From Annapolis to Southern New Jersey was $900. Then my house to the marina (in NJ about 60 miles) was $500. I also had the expense of building stands which cost me about $200. I could get you the names and numbers of the hauler if you're in the NJ to MD area.
Old 12-26-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanSimon View Post
Has anyone had their boat (we have an E27) hauled and put on the hard in their own yard - as in residence? And if so, how? how much? and which hauling company?

How did you haul your boat into your yard?

Thanks in Advance!
Tommays!! Service call in aisle 3!!

Simon you might search for threads by Tommays.. someone who's been there done that...

btw I moved your posts to your own thread for you.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-26-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
There is a fairly high initial expense in the jack-stands and at 125 dollars each i was Not going to fool around threading shaft and adjustment handles

How you cover the boat is a BIG deal for two reasons as around here this is legally a membrane structure and is NOT LEGAL so we played tag taking it up and down as needed

The other BIG ISSUE is Not turning your yard into a superfund sight as there is a lot of freaking dust involved and as i am on concrete it was easy to keep things form soaking into the soil

Seafever is pretty easy to move and as far as cost we have a deal with the truck guy BUT is 400 dollars TWO times a year PLUS the boat yard cost

Zzzoom is a bit more of a PITA to move due to the 7' draft

I would call it a convenience more than a money saver as i still spend about 2K per year moving it with the yard costs BUT its great to have all my tools 5' away in a secure place

The biggest possible issue is local zoning laws as in Seafevers neighborhood its legal in the driveway and down the road 7 miles away Zzzoom has to be behind the home
Faster likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 12-26-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-26-2011

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
I had my 28' 8000 lb S2 put on the hard in my side yard. She was hauled about 70 miles one way and was on the hard for three years while I started my business. It cost $150 for the haulout, $600 one way to my house. I bought used jackstands for $60 each which the hauler purchased back from me later for $40 each.
While she was there, I replaced the standing rigging, and replaced the 6.5 hp Yanmar 1gm with a 13 hp 2GM and bottom painting. There were other minor tasks as well.
Having her put back in the water was another $600 trip back to the water and another $150 trip in the water.
Old 12-30-2011

SanSimon is on a distinguished road
Hauling

Hi and thanks for all your help! How did you find the hauler and I'm guessing that they set the boat on the hard in your driveway - yes? I'm also looking for a trailer as I doubt this will be the only time we haul and paint. Any ideas on finding a used one? You did a great job on your boat - I'm hoping mine comes out looking half as good! DK SanSimon
Old 12-30-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
You have to look around in your area as powerboat movers are real common BUT somebody with a split trailer to move a keel boat is a bit more rare

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 12-30-2011
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
Is this a deep keel boat....?

I built a wooden cradle on an equipment trailer to haul my shoal keel boat home... Then had a crane move it to a custom built trailer for storage/work and spring transport and launch...

All for under a grand... a deep keel boat is a bit more challenging, but still doable...
Old 12-31-2011

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
My boat has been on the hard for 3 years in a marina. Had I ANY idea it was going to be that long I'd have been so much better off having it hauled! It has cost me a ton of money in yard fees, and a ton more in travel costs, an hour each way, trying to work on it. Life interferes too, prostate cancer, spend time with the grandson or work on the boat. Then there are the two speeding tickets I got, driving slow in places with a really slow speed limits. For a 26 footer 1000 bucks each way looks like a real bargain now.

30 years ago I spent about $500 building a trailer and hauling my Hunter 27 home. Rebuilt the entire insides working a couple hours each night after dinner. Painted the decks, built new bow and stern pulpits. Got the bottom done before launching, and spent not a nickel in yard fees during the off season. Really should have done it that way again. But who knew?

Gary H. Lucas
Old 12-31-2011
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHLucas View Post
...30 years ago I spent about $500 building a trailer and hauling my Hunter 27 home. Rebuilt the entire insides working a couple hours each night after dinner. Painted the decks, built new bow and stern pulpits. Got the bottom done before launching, and spent not a nickel in yard fees during the off season. Really should have done it that way again. But who knew?
That's the way I'm doing mine ...for the same reasons...a couple hours in the back yard here and there and it's getting done...and I ain't paying for it to "sit" when I'm not there...

On the other hand, I have a farm and a large barn to keep it in...not a driveway in a crowded neighborhood..

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.