Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011

fallard is on a distinguished road
The 3 yr old Honda 9.9 for my dinghy has been reliable and isn't at all noisy as delite indicated. It weighs a lot compared to a 2-stroke--90+lbs, not including the external gas tank. I do find it takes some finesse to get it started when it's cold, but it has ALWAYS started.

When I bought it (in person at Defender, which carries Mercury, Yamaha, Honda, Evinrude, 7 Tohatsu--last time I checked) I asked if they had an opinion about which brand was the best. Being diplomatic, they didn't give me a straight answer, but asked if I noticed the brands you find most often in the Caribbean charter business. Having chartered for the past 12+ years, my observation is that Yamaha 2-strokes were the most common, but the market has moved toward 4 strokes, thanks to the EPA. The other consideration is that a lot of commercial operators (pump-out boats, harbormaster boats, etc.) seemed to favor Honda in the northeast. Honda seems to have the most experience with 4-stroke engines of all sorts. The Hondas tend to cost a bit more, but that's the way I went. No regrets so far.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2011
Butch

rbbaker is on a distinguished road

I have a Merc 9.9 on a Catalina 250. It has been perfect. Almost can't hear it run - not one problem with it for 4 years. The Mercury and Nissan are not the same quality - the Mercury is the high end outboard. lot fewer plastic parts. I have several buddies with the Nissan which cost less to buy new - they have all had some issues.
B
Old 12-29-2011

gershel is on a distinguished road
The Yamaha 9.9 DOES come with a 25" leg. It is the overwhelming choice among catamarans. But the most important part of the Yamaha High Thrust model is the high torque produced by the low gear ratio. This allows the use of a much larger prop, almost 12" dia. This size prop is close to what an inboard engine might use. As far as I know, Yamaha is the only one with these features, which are ideal for sailboats.
As far as your idleing problem, remove the carb(easy), disassemble completely,(no shortcuts) spray carb cleaner through every little hole you can find. I just did this to mine, and they're purring like new.
Marc
Old 12-29-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gershel View Post
As far as your idleing problem, remove the carb(easy), disassemble completely,(no shortcuts) spray carb cleaner through every little hole you can find. I just did this to mine, and they're purring like new.
Marc
Thanks! Printed up, also put in the list of things to do that is bulging my wallet... people think I'm OCD because I constantly have little notes sticking out of my wallet, as I think of one thing or another that I "need" to do to the boat next... I guess owning a boat is the definition of OCD
Old 12-30-2011
Misanthrope

TohatsuGuru is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbaker View Post
I have a Merc 9.9 on a Catalina 250. It has been perfect. Almost can't hear it run - not one problem with it for 4 years. The Mercury and Nissan are not the same quality - the Mercury is the high end outboard. lot fewer plastic parts. I have several buddies with the Nissan which cost less to buy new - they have all had some issues.
B
Now that's just funny...Mercury is a Tohatsu with a different decal, shift method and tilt system. IE It's a Tohatsu
Old 12-30-2011

KIVALO is on a distinguished road
I have a 2003 Nissan 9.9 4stroke on my H-260. It has been a good motor for the most part. The shifting cable came disconnected from the shifter(engine side) but was caused by my attempt at forcing the engine to shift. It was easily repaired with a C-Clip. I also lost an impeller, again, easily repaired. My only complaint and the only problem not self-inflicted, is the idle wont stay put at lower RPMs. It either dies or raises. This has proven to be problematic in tight spots when it stalls. But it's been a really good engine other than that.

Brad
s/v KIVALO
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 12-30-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
B
Do you know that the Merc and Nissan are rebaged Tohatsu. I believe the one difference in the Merc and Tohatsu is max RPM (9.9 vs 9.8 respectively) and the Merc has the shifter in the tiller, built into the throttle, which in my opinion is not an option I would want, because you cant rev the engine without the gear being engaged.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 12-31-2011
Butch

rbbaker is on a distinguished road
It's the little things that count. You can "rev" the engine on the Merc without it being in gear. I've never needed to but it's easily done.
Old 12-31-2011

billdre is on a distinguished road
reving out of gear

Quote:
It's the little things that count. You can "rev" the engine on the Merc without it being in gear. I've never needed to but it's easily done.
OK you've got my attention. How? I would have liked to have known how to do this with my current Mariner. I thought T37chef's point was a good one.
Still I'm a little nervous about Yamaha not showing any small outboards on their website. Makes me wonder about their long term commitment. Although gershel talks about high output Yamaha I suspect this compares to Mercury's Bigfoot which has a larger propeller.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

billdre
Time Enough
'79 O'Day 28
Boston
Old 12-31-2011

TheHisway is on a distinguished road
, i had a 9.9 yamaha 1993 build. took a knockdown in the palmico sound 1 mile west of the outer banks. washed 1200 ft onto a shoal. the motor filled with water and the transmission linkage snapped upon impact with a shoal moments later. however once the wind subsided a little over 40 hours later... the motor started and spun the prop just enough to get me to head into the waves with a lost rudder. i now have a honda 8 and i must say the yamaha was much more quiet. i would say buy used