SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Radar Issues (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/82144-radar-issues.html)

duchess of montrose 12-28-2011 06:00 PM

Radar Issues

As part of my outfitting my boat a contest 30 i decided to buy an old cheap radar so i found a autohelm st50 dome for 200 bucks which seemed pretty chea but it didnt include a screen or a cable. Now my question is how do i find those things and do i need an st50 screen or can i use a different screen like i found a raymarine rl70 screen for 100 can i uy it will it interface? how does this work im new to radars and chartplotters and interfacing them.

hellosailor 12-28-2011 06:06 PM

I would suggest asking Raymarine what is compatible. There are some units that use the same components inside as other models/brands, but by and large radar systems are incompatible and I wouldn't be surprised if you have to track down working parts for the same system. Of course it becomes harder to know that they are in fact working, when you pick them up one at a time.

CaptMikey 12-28-2011 06:47 PM

Raymarine is pretty nice about answering questions and giving advice. they won't try to sell you something unless the components you have are incompatible. you can always find good stuff on Ebay.

CaptainForce 12-28-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptMikey (Post 811272)
Raymarine is pretty nice about answering questions and giving advice. they won't try to sell you something unless the components you have are incompatible.............

Is this sarcasm? Is Raymarine that bad?.....or was this a mistake?

olson34 12-29-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainForce (Post 811326)
Is this sarcasm? Is Raymarine that bad?.....or was this a mistake?

Whoa.
Are you replying to the correct post??
That post was complementary to Raymarine.

My local marine electronics shop often advises customers to save their money and not trade up or change when it's not in the customer's best interest. No reason why an ethical person @ Raymarine would be different.

I have not had to call Raymarine directly, but I have called and emailed the US factory support guys at Furuno with my radar questions several times and they are unfailingly helpful and always seem to have my interests at heart -- guess that they know that a satisfied customer keeps comin' back...
:cool:

L

ps: eBay may be helpful for sourcing electronics, but you are pretty much rolling the dice. By the time you add S/H, and add up the after sale support (normally minimal or zero) I find that my local independent dealer is within 10% of the cheapo price, and I get great after-sale support from them.
And, No, I am not professionally employed in the industry, but I have spent a lot of time folded into small compartments and working upside down in boats repairing and installing stuff and have learned what my time is worth. :)

CaptainForce 12-29-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

.....they won't try to sell you something unless the components you have are incompatible........

This statement states that they will try to sell you incompatible parts! I was just reading what you wrote. Obviously that was not your intention. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Maine Sail 12-29-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainForce (Post 811621)
This statement states that they will try to sell you incompatible parts! I was just reading what you wrote. Obviously that was not your intention. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Actually as I read it he says Raymarine would NOT try to sell you something you don't need UNLESS you had already bought ("have") stuff and it and then discovered it was not compatible. At that point they may suggest selling you some that would make what you already have "compatible"..

Quote:

they won't try to sell you something unless the components you have are incompatible.

The older RL/SL stuff IIRC is not compatible with the 10X/Pathfinder stuff.

CaptainForce 12-30-2011 12:16 AM

"they won't try to sell you something unless the components you have are incompatible"

"they won't try to sell you something if the components you have are incompatible"

Don't pretend that these are not opposite statements. I would expect that most of us would favor not being sold incompatible components. I'll step away from this debate about basic use of language. Golly, I don't need no wrong parts!...or is it wrong parts that I don't need!

Maine Sail 12-30-2011 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainForce (Post 811632)
"they won't try to sell you something unless the components you have are incompatible"

"they won't try to sell you something if the components you have are incompatible"

Don't pretend that these are not opposite statements. I would expect that most of us would favor not being sold incompatible components. I'll step away from this debate about basic use of language. Golly, I don't need no wrong parts!...or is it wrong parts that I don't need!

So if we replace the word "unless" with it's definition...;)

Unless - except under the circumstances that; except on the condition that

they won't try to sell you something except under the circumstances that the components you have are incompatible

they won't try to sell you something except on the condition that the components you have are incompatible

I think it works either way...

Or looked at another way if the stuff you had WAS compatible they would not try and sell you more stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainForce (Post 811632)

"If" components I already owned and bought were "incompatible" I would hope they would try and sell me the right stuff so I could get my system going...

CaptainForce 12-30-2011 08:54 AM

So Lou Costello has said to me, "Who's on first." The intent is to say that Raymarine is eager to sell parts to resolve an incompatibility problem and they do not attempt to sell parts that are not needed. As it turns out, the bold face type doesn't aide communication. "WHO"S on first" doesn't help, but I'm more understanding this morning. Thanks for pulling me through!,- Aythya crew