Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011

duchess of montrose is on a distinguished road
Radar Issues

As part of my outfitting my boat a contest 30 i decided to buy an old cheap radar so i found a autohelm st50 dome for 200 bucks which seemed pretty chea but it didnt include a screen or a cable. Now my question is how do i find those things and do i need an st50 screen or can i use a different screen like i found a raymarine rl70 screen for 100 can i uy it will it interface? how does this work im new to radars and chartplotters and interfacing them.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I would suggest asking Raymarine what is compatible. There are some units that use the same components inside as other models/brands, but by and large radar systems are incompatible and I wouldn't be surprised if you have to track down working parts for the same system. Of course it becomes harder to know that they are in fact working, when you pick them up one at a time.
Old 12-28-2011
S/V Second Chance

CaptMikey is on a distinguished road
Raymarine is pretty nice about answering questions and giving advice. they won't try to sell you something unless the components you have are incompatible. you can always find good stuff on Ebay.
Old 12-28-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMikey View Post
Raymarine is pretty nice about answering questions and giving advice. they won't try to sell you something unless the components you have are incompatible.............
Is this sarcasm? Is Raymarine that bad?.....or was this a mistake?
Old 12-29-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
Is this sarcasm? Is Raymarine that bad?.....or was this a mistake?
Whoa.
Are you replying to the correct post??
That post was complementary to Raymarine.

My local marine electronics shop often advises customers to save their money and not trade up or change when it's not in the customer's best interest. No reason why an ethical person @ Raymarine would be different.

I have not had to call Raymarine directly, but I have called and emailed the US factory support guys at Furuno with my radar questions several times and they are unfailingly helpful and always seem to have my interests at heart -- guess that they know that a satisfied customer keeps comin' back...

L

ps: eBay may be helpful for sourcing electronics, but you are pretty much rolling the dice. By the time you add S/H, and add up the after sale support (normally minimal or zero) I find that my local independent dealer is within 10% of the cheapo price, and I get great after-sale support from them.
And, No, I am not professionally employed in the industry, but I have spent a lot of time folded into small compartments and working upside down in boats repairing and installing stuff and have learned what my time is worth.

Last edited by olson34; 12-29-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-29-2011

Quote:
.....they won't try to sell you something unless the components you have are incompatible........
This statement states that they will try to sell you incompatible parts! I was just reading what you wrote. Obviously that was not your intention. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 12-29-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
This statement states that they will try to sell you incompatible parts! I was just reading what you wrote. Obviously that was not your intention. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Actually as I read it he says Raymarine would NOT try to sell you something you don't need UNLESS you had already bought ("have") stuff and it and then discovered it was not compatible. At that point they may suggest selling you some that would make what you already have "compatible"..

Quote:
they won't try to sell you something unless the components you have are incompatible.

The older RL/SL stuff IIRC is not compatible with the 10X/Pathfinder stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 12-29-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-29-2011

"they won't try to sell you something unless the components you have are incompatible"

"they won't try to sell you something if the components you have are incompatible"

Don't pretend that these are not opposite statements. I would expect that most of us would favor not being sold incompatible components. I'll step away from this debate about basic use of language. Golly, I don't need no wrong parts!...or is it wrong parts that I don't need!
Old 12-29-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
"they won't try to sell you something unless the components you have are incompatible"

"they won't try to sell you something if the components you have are incompatible"

Don't pretend that these are not opposite statements. I would expect that most of us would favor not being sold incompatible components. I'll step away from this debate about basic use of language. Golly, I don't need no wrong parts!...or is it wrong parts that I don't need!
So if we replace the word "unless" with it's definition...

Unless - except under the circumstances that; except on the condition that

they won't try to sell you something except under the circumstances that the components you have are incompatible

they won't try to sell you something except on the condition that the components you have are incompatible

I think it works either way...

Or looked at another way if the stuff you had WAS compatible they would not try and sell you more stuff.

Quote:
"If" components I already owned and bought were "incompatible" I would hope they would try and sell me the right stuff so I could get my system going...
messer999 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 12-30-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-30-2011

So Lou Costello has said to me, "Who's on first." The intent is to say that Raymarine is eager to sell parts to resolve an incompatibility problem and they do not attempt to sell parts that are not needed. As it turns out, the bold face type doesn't aide communication. "WHO"S on first" doesn't help, but I'm more understanding this morning. Thanks for pulling me through!,- Aythya crew

Tags
chartplotter , interface , radar , raymarine , setup