Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-03-2012

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
The little "moisture meters" marketed for such purposes are fine for giving one an idea of the relative differences in moisture in various locations of a particular hull, but are essentially worthless for determining the absolute water content. In other words, if most of the hull (below the waterline) gives you a fairly tight range of readings and one area (or a few areas) has higher readings that is something about which you should be concerned. However, the "percent moisture" indicted has little or no relationship to the actual amount of moisture in the fiberglass. The little "moisture meters" on the market just can't make that analysis with any reliability across different fiberglass resins, bottom/barrier treatments, etc. Anyone who tells you otherwise registers a pretty high "percent BS" on my patented "BS meter".
Senior Slacker , I'm with you on this one. Anybody who claims he can tell you moisture content of a hull without burning a coupon in a lab test is absolutely full of it ... No matter how fancy his meter his. My article Moisture Meter Mythology gives a complete explanation of why this is impossible.
Old 03-03-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Senior Slacker , I'm with you on this one. Anybody who claims he can tell you moisture content of a hull without burning a coupon in a lab test is absolutely full of it ... No matter how fancy his meter his. My article Moisture Meter Mythology gives a complete explanation of why this is impossible.
Well, I am not so sure. In fact I was saved from buying a boat with a problem by a moisture meter and I can tell you that not only the boat was relatively new (5 years) as visually and hammering on the hull it would give no sign at all of any problem. Everything seemed perfect.

The meter measured 30% in some areas and I give up on the boat. I know that later the owner, that ignored that the boat had a problem, just to be sure opened a small hole in the hull in the area the meter indicated as more humid….and water just pour out from the core.

A month later with the same meter on a similar boat, the biggest measure we could take was 12% and just in some spots like behind the bilge. Most of the hull read below 10% and as low as 3%. I bought that one.

Of course it was not me that was doing the readings it was a surveyor. You have to know what you are doing and have experience but I can tell you that after that I will never buy a boat without a proper hull humidity reading made by a competent surveyor with a top of the rage equipment.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook