Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-02-2012
1982 Skye 51

obelisk is on a distinguished road
Icom m710 trouble - need assistance

I've just replaced my old Icom m700 with a new-to-me Icom m710 with PCT-III modem with my old AT-120 tuner. Everything appears to be connected fine on the back of the radio but when I turn it on, it continues flashing 'TUNE' on the screen and will not receive or transmit.

When I press the Tune button, nothing happens. I have adjusted the settings to AT-120 and 'auto tune.' Am I missing something in the programming? Shouldn't I be able to receive regardless of the tuner (if that is a problem)?

Also, it will not let me program in any stations or change groups. Next to the flasking 'TUNE" it says WWV 2 and then dispalys 2.5000 when I press the CH/freq button.

Can anyone point me in a direction for troubleshooting? I'm in Chile and communicating this to a radio tech will be very difficult for me and my poor Spanish skills.

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by obelisk; 01-02-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2012

CarolynShearlock is on a distinguished road
I don't have the answer for you, but we had one and used the owner's manual for extensive troubleshooting. I don't have it here so can't look at it for you. But you can download it here:

Icom M710 Owners Manual -- PDF -- 5 meg

When we had a very strange problem with our mic, I e-mailed Icom's tech support and got a VERY fast response that solved the problem (or at least told us where to look for a broken wire). Their contact us page:

Email Us

OR the direct e-mail I have for them (it's been several years, don't know if it's still good) is:

marine (at) icomamerica (dot) com

Take out the spaces and use symbols . . . don't want Icom to be innundated with spam.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-03-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
No answer here either, but if I may suggest?

Since you have internet access you can use the babelfish or Google Translate, on a computer or smartphone. If you take what you just typed, put it into either one and ask for a spanish translation and then hand THAT to the tech...you've got a good start.

And if you rephrase the details two or three ways, taking care to be unambiguous and as specific as possible, then you get two or three translations and there's less chance the tech will miss the real point due to an error in any one of them.

Those "machine translations" can be very useful!
Old 02-20-2012

sapo is on a distinguished road
Sounds similar to the problem I'm having. I've got a 710-RT transciever, the transmission was noted by people I was contacting as very weak. I had a service rep look at it, they took and worked on both parts of the radio, and said it had problems but pronounced it fixed. But they said the antenna tuner was not functioning, and they did not know how to fix that. I got a new replacement, had it installed, and it appears to work. But when I transmit, I don't see any large amp draw on the boat's power system, lights don't dim, etc. I think it's still weak. How can I check this? I'll try contacting people with it later today, but that's not very quantitative. The problem is made somewhat more awkward because I'm now in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
Thanks
Old 02-20-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
sapo, is it possible that you have the radio set to low rf power?

In terms of checking actual power consumption, you can put an ammeter in the power lead to the radio to see what power it is actually draining. If you've got a good supply lights won't dim.

You can also install a wattmeter in the radio's output line, to check the actual transmitter output at any time. Sometimes a combination wattmeter/swr meter, which can be useful to keep installed.

Tags
icom , m710 , ssb , troubleshooting , tuner