SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Bulkhead Mod and Compression Post

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  SlowButSteady 
#1 ·
We have a relatively new-to-us 1969 Santana 22. The early model Santana 22's have a habit of needing additional mast support and this boat has a large metal post installed in opening of the bulkhead. While not looking to go out for a week or so we'd like to have some access to the v-berth (and the port-a-pottie in an emergency). With the added metal compression post we can barely squeeze in the v-berth to stow the sails. I've attached a pic where it looks like the bulkhead was modified (which is now the standard design) as well as a pic of our bulkhead and compression post. With the post in place, can I cut back the bulkhead to provide access to the v-berth without worrying about the deck or anything else being supported sufficiently?

Thanks!
Brent

Modified...
S22ModifiedBulkhead

Our bulkhead...
S22wCompPost

See less See more
#2 ·
We have a relatively new-to-us 1969 Santana 22. The early model Santana 22's have a habit of needing additional mast support and this boat has a large metal post installed in opening of the bulkhead. While not looking to go out for a week or so we'd like to have some access to the v-berth (and the port-a-pottie in an emergency). With the added metal compression post we can barely squeeze in the v-berth to stow the sails. I've attached a pic where it looks like the bulkhead was modified (which is now the standard design) as well as a pic of our bulkhead and compression post. With the post in place, can I cut back the bulkhead to provide access to the v-berth without worrying about the deck or anything else being supported sufficiently? Thanks Brent

Modified...
S22ModifiedBulkhead

Our bulkhead...
S22wCompPost
If that compression post is needed on a 22' boat that has full height main bulkheads that close together, you have something else going on.

That thing looks like such overkill for a boat that size that I'd be suspicious the previous owner was paranoid and/or had read things about big boats needing compression posts. I wouldn't cut away any of the bulkheads - find another solution (if one is even necessary).

The first thing I'd do is take the tension off it, pull it out and see what happened. If the deck sags, you probably have wet core. If nothing obvious happens, check the rigging to see that tension has been maintained. If the rig is still tight, go for a sail on a light day and see if there is any flexing or oil-canning of the deck. Continue searching things out in this way.

If nothing seems to happen, I'd just leave it out. A 22' boat doesn't exert huge forces on the rig so a post like that should never be necessary. Most of the 22' boats I've been on didn't even have bulkheads like yours - many don't have ANY main bulkhead, just some cabinetry bonded in to stiffen the hull.

Also, you could PM W.D. SCHOCK - he built them and is a member here - see what he has to say.

Reactions: Faster
#3 ·
Thanks SloopJonB. Yes I agree it looks like overkill but it has been recommended as a solution for weak mast support reported in the early runs of the S22. SCHOCK actually changed the design on later S22's to address this and apparently completely did away with any compression post requirements.

I'm about to drop the mast for some other work so I'll take a closer work and try the steps you suggested.

Thanks again for the feedback.

#4 ·
Thanks SloopJonB. Yes I agree it looks like overkill but it has been recommended as a solution for weak mast support reported in the early runs of the S22. SCHOCK actually changed the design on later S22's to address this and apparently completely did away with any compression post requirements.

I'm about to drop the mast for some other work so I'll take a closer work and try the steps you suggested.

Thanks again for the feedback.
In answer to your original question, I would say yes you can, as the mast was the main force on the deck, and that force is now transferred to the step via the new jack post. So all the deck now has to do is support it's own weight (and yours!)

Is there a Santana 22 forum who can provide more info?

#5 ·
Damn it guys, be careful about taking a compression post out.
It is not just a question of the size of the boat.
The compressive forces there are terrible if the wind rises.
It looks a bit of a nuisance, but I certainly wouldn't take it out of there.... those chainplates look like they wouldn't take any prisoners.

#6 ·
Email, or PM WDSchock, he's on sailnet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.