Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-06-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
Misfits: im going to have to throw the BS flag on that last post!
Like Ripley says, believe it or not.

The boat was sitting very low in the water in relation to the water line unlike anytime in the previous 8 years of owning her. Head back to work show up the following weekend & the panic once again set in. On with the bilge pump & nothing...

I had seen boats that had blistered but had never seen anything quite like this. We had hit a log coming back in from fishing & unknow to us, the hit had taken out about 6" of lifting chine. So, the hull became a big sponge & sucked up water for the balance of the season...

This is a pretty easy fix Brokesailer if you can put the time in to repair her but the most important thing you've got to do is open those blisters up now.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2012
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
Regards the bottom......*** What I see is:
Bottom paint over an epoxy barrier coat, over gelkote.
Many blisters, most 3/8" to 1/2".** You know I am against individual pop and filling of blisters, but even if one were so inclined, there are way too many to deal with that way.
Many of the blisters are between the barrier coat and the gelkote, but at least some are sited below the gelkote.* Not practical to determine exactly the ratio, but I would say roughly 50-50 barrier coat blisters vs. laminate blisters. *
Bottom paint is adhering reasonably well.***
Here are the options:
A full proper repair which would include a peel of the bottom paint, barrier coat, gelkote and the first layer of laminate.** Lay up new glass and finish with a new barrier coat.*** Highly reliable, but expensive.*** We would want to perform a "PROFILE" on the bottom where we grind in the laminate, aka a WINDOW and have a look at the laminate and exactly how deep the problem goes, but rough guess is $16,000.** I know you have already mentioned a full repair is probably out of the budget this year.**
Remove the bottom paint and barrier coat and apply new.** Sounds easy enough, but the laminate blisters present a problem in that the will end up getting thinned or broken open during the process and we will have a lot of filling to do.* Frankly it will be a mess and not particularly reliable.*** Given this added difficulty, I would expect removing and renewing the barrier coat to run $6,000 and I don't think you are getting much value for the expense.**
Leave it as is. * The existing barrier coat while blistering is still doing significant working keeping the quantity of moisture reaching the laminate down. * Clearly some moisture is getting in, but the amount that gets in matters a great deal and it is somewhat ironic that a relatively small amount of moisture will blow lots of blisters in a barrier coat, as opposed to a laminate. ** Even though blistering, I think the current barrier coat will maintain the status quo pretty well for the next couple years at least. * I don't see any indications there is a structural problem going on here. * Though the bottom would be lumpy from the blisters, you could leave it as is while you budget for a proper repair later.**
Ouch. We currently are doing the grind and fill on n SC-50 for $8,000 labor plus materials, including taking the paint to gelcoat, new barrier coat and VC-Offshore. Blasting or peeling would likely double that but it's a fifty footer!! I don't know what size your boat is but I would hunt around for pricing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2012
Sailing to surf

Beersmith is on a distinguished road
Get a cheap grinder and go at it. I stripped my bottom for under $100 (tool and materials, time not included) and it is quite smoother than the people who spend thousands on a peeler around here...

Old 01-06-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Ouch. We currently are doing the grind and fill on n SC-50 for $8,000 labor plus materials, including taking the paint to gelcoat, new barrier coat and VC-Offshore. Blasting or peeling would likely double that but it's a fifty footer!! I don't know what size your boat is but I would hunt around for pricing...
Cant comment on $16000 as I dont think the thread has the boat size, but peeling is a particularly expensive job.

Blasting and peeling really don't belong in the same sentence as peeling is a far bigger job than blasting, especially if the hull is cored, as peeling would typically include removal and replacement of all coring material. Peeling also usually requires somewhere to sit out of the weather for a period (3-9 months) for the hull to dry, all running up costs like $300 a foot or more...pretty ugly.