Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-04-2012

chartscharts is on a distinguished road
Parts for Farymann A30

Hi everyone! Happy New Year!

I've sheared the flexible shaft coupling on my Farymann inside my Cal29. I'd like to replace it with the exact part. It's unusually long (3-4 inches) for drivesaver type thingies.

I've tried to call/email Farymann North America but have not gotten any response. Sadly, I've seen similar experiences posted in other forums.

I've sent a note to a distributor in Oregon that's listed on Farymann's German home page, but nothing yet from them.

Anyone know of any other sources?

-Charts
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2012

Well, I reached Syd at Farymann North America. He says they've got 34 on order but that the distributer is waiting for some unspecified and unknown number of orders before making more. I wonder if it's 500 or something.

Anyone have any ideas on where I could get a flexible shaft coupler for my A30? I've got a query into Dave at Entec too.

-Charts
Old 01-14-2012
Vets

dennisvetter is on a distinguished road
Give Sidney Propeller in British Columbia, Canada a try at (250) 656-3421. Although they're in the process of being merged with another company (Vector Marine?) they were very responsive to me recently for a very small order.

I don't know what's happened to Farymann North America but all I get from them is BS ... IF I can get ahold of anyone there.

It's getting kind of tough for an A30M these days (they have been out of production for nearly 30 years I believe!). Please share any good sources you find in your search!
Old 01-28-2012
Vets

This was a recent response I received from a dealer in the Netherlands to explore whether there might be any parts available in Europe (it might be repowering time for all of us A30 owners!):

"Dear Sir,

Thank you for your request. The production of the Farymann Diesel engine type A30 is discontinued in 1981 the spare part production for this engine type was also discontinued a few years back.

We regret to inform you that can not supply you with the requested parts.

Sorry.

Best regards,

L.P. Koster en Zn. BV. / Farymann Diesel Netherlands"
Old 02-24-2012

Dennis, your suggestion of Sydney, now Vector Marine in BC was a great one! I'll add my plug for them here too. They've been very helpful and responsive and seem a great bunch of folks.

They even have a used A30 flexible shaft coupler they're willing to sell me! So that's awesome! It's the first source I've found for these.

The only downside, is that since they won't be involved in the installation. they can't give me any warranty for it. I'm worried, being a used part, that it is one gear shift away from failing; that I'll install it, and the the metal will shear from the rubber on the first shift, being probably as old as the my original one that failed in that way. They sent pics of it and it seems in good shape, but how could you tell.

Since the part isn't cheap, that's a gamble!

On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be any alternative. I haven't found any other source for this part, new or used. It seems unlikely that I'll find a new one, and no one is likely to give me a warranty on a used one.

Thoughts?

-charts
Old 03-04-2012
Vets

Farymann USA has been purchased by Highway Equipment & Supply in Orlando, Florida. I've been trying to get through to the one person who is handling the Farymann parts to no avail for several weeks (although he did call ME to ask about an order I tried to place with the Greenville SC outfit early last Fall!). The guy you need to talk to is John at 407-843-6310 extension 1444. Good luck. Let me know how you fare with him.