Battery Equalization Amperage - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 Old 01-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by obelisk View Post
hmm, am i being fooled by my battery monitor? it reads 100% and has since beginning equalization and the charger is still putting in almost 10A.

Yes. It's not accurate, and needs re-calibration.

BTW, 14.8VDC is not enough to do a real equalization. You need at least 15.5VDC, increasing to about 16.5VDC.

Bill
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 01-08-2012 Thread Starter
1982 Skye 51

i know that 14.8 is not ideal but i had read that, given a longer period, it would accomplish the same thing. i guess i'll look into borrowing/renting a portable charger somewhere in Pto. Montt.

a note about battery monitor calibration: I have found in teh past that it does not read completely accurately until after a deep discharge/full recharge cycle once it has been unhooked. maybe the lack of equalization and resulting sulfation has got ti all mixed up. i'll let my batteries do the thinking for the time being and worry about the monitor later--it is reading accurate amps and volts, which is enough.

"The notion of life implies a certain absoluteness of self-enjoyment." -Alfred North Whitehead

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-02-2012 Thread Starter
1982 Skye 51

Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown

I was unable to equalize the battery bank I was having trouble with so I contacted the battery shop here in Puerto Montt and they came to check them. after hooking up their machine, to each battery we found that the BEST of the 3 12V Rolls 113t batteries only had 32% of its life remaining. it was a sad site sitting in the battery box all alone. one crew member equated it to the Charlie Brown christmas tree:

I decided on a new 450AH bank with 4 6V Trojan batteries. 2 banks of two batteries hooked in series. after cuttien the battery box in half and re glassing (with some west system and an old cotton T-shirt!) it to acommodate the extra 1/2" needed, here is the setup:

"The notion of life implies a certain absoluteness of self-enjoyment." -Alfred North Whitehead

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.