Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-08-2003

aflanigan is on a distinguished road
Bottom refinishing on trailer?

I am considering whether it would be possible to do refinishing work on the hull of my 25 footer if I have it on a trailer in my back yard. Obviously, I don''t have a two ton crane installed in the back yard, so lifting or transferring the boat from the trailer onto stands would be a problem. The boat has a centerboard, with a fairly flat bottom suitable for center rollers. I suppose it might be possible to roll the boat off the trailer and onto stands; if the stern hangs out enough, for example, I suppose I could jack the stern then carefully pull the trailer forward from under the boat.

Has anyone had experience with backyard hull maintenance and hull refinishing from a trailer? One big job I need to do is sand down the hull and let the outer layer dry out and seal it properly. Obviously, being able to tent the hull and work on it in the back yard would be advantageous. I''m just wondering about the mechanics of doing this on the trailer, or getting the boat onto and off of the trailer without the benefit of a traveling hoist/crane.

Allen Flanigan
Alexandria, VA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2003

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Allen,
This past winter I did hull work on my Precision 23 while on a trailer in my back yard. After getting advice and suggestions from many sources, I measured and cut four 2x4''s to fit under the toe rail edge and extend to the ground at a slight angle...two on each side. Once these were securely in place, I dropped the bunks (after marking their height with red nail polish...worked fantastic) which enabled me to have access to just about the entire hull without having to remove the boat from the trailer. I sanded and painted the bottom as well as other needed work. Once finished I just raised the bunks back into place and removed the boards. I was very pleased with the finished job and since I am a small female who had never done such as this before I was very proud to have pulled the whole thing off. I would not hesitate to do it again.

Bobbi
S/V Kokopelli
Old 10-10-2003

aflanigan is on a distinguished road

Bobbi,

Thanks for your message. It seems I have been trying to overly complicate what should not be too complicated a problem (maybe I was just looking for an excuse to build a wooden derrick/hoist in my back yard using 4X4s!)

I don''t even have a trailer yet, but even if it is a type which does not allow the bunks/rollers to be easily lowered, I can certainly let the air out of the tires to ease pressure on the bunk/roller mounts.

I guess I just better make sure the wooden supports are on solid ground so the boat doesn''t "sink" while off the trailer, or else I''ll have to dig a trench under it to reload it on the trailer! My hull (Helms 25) has a molded-in rubrail, which will probably be perfect for the kind of support you are talking about.

Thanks again!

Allen Flanigan

ps wanna loan me some of that red nail polish? ; > )