Lifting the aft end out of the water in the slip - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 01-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaboat View Post
True. If someone made a safe, effective two-piece hose that I could replace it with and avoid all of the shaft coupler issues I don't know how much I would pay!
Look at it as an opportunity to check the entire driveline from the transmission flange aft. Check the shaft for wear where it is buried in the cutlass and assess whether it needs replacing. Replace the cutlass as well of course.

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 01-14-2012

Itsaboat,

I was down at the marina todatychecking on mine and thought about your situation. I'm not sure if the slip can handle the force or not but I had an idea.

Could you first put some weight on the bow and then run a strap under the boat just aft of the keel and maybe using a come-along, tighten up on the strap, thus lifting the stern? It may give you just the clearance you need?

Anyways, just an idea. I live in Conway but I'll be down there as much as I can. Mine is the S2, second on the left.

Last edited by Lflowers230; 01-14-2012 at 08:33 PM.
post #23 of 27 Old 01-14-2012

You are going to have to pull the shaft off the motor to remove the old stuffing box and install the new PSS shaft seal. You could save a few bucks and use a properly fitting shaft zinc to back up your PSS rotor. I'll bet the split SS back-up collar costs more than a shaft zinc.

BTW, I've got a 21 yr old PSS shaft seal and it has the double set screw arrangement and has never failed. I don't have a backup ring, but it seems like cheap insurance.

The wax ring suggestion makes my head hurt when I contemplate a number of complications you don't want to deal with.

If it were my boat, I wouldn't attempt this job if you couldn't at least get the cutless bearing out of the water. Before you get too creative, you might check with the helpful folks at PSS to see what they might suggest, other than a haulout.
post #24 of 27 Old 01-15-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

After reading this thread, I bought one of the ss collars for my new PSS Shaft Seal - $23.48 with shipping - well worth it for the peace of mind!
post #25 of 27 Old 01-15-2012

Time for a new cutlass bearing
post #26 of 27 Old 01-15-2012 Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the suggestions. The project has grown to include installing new through hulls and depth/speed transducers. We will also address a small oil leak from the transmission when it is engaged. So, a haul out will be best/safest/sanest way to handle it.

Yes, I will be checking the cutlass bearing as well.

The zinc is not a bad idea, I'll think about SS collar as well; these are things that can be added at any time.
Squidd likes this.
post #27 of 27 Old 01-15-2012
Superior Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaboat View Post
Thanks again for all the suggestions. The project has grown to include installing new through hulls and depth/speed transducers. We will also address a small oil leak from the transmission when it is engaged. So, a haul out will be best/safest/sanest way to handle it..
Now your talking.. doing it all at once makes it worth while, but doing it right makes it safe...

"Might as well take 'er out...If anything is gonna happen...It's gonna happen out there..."
"Captin Ron"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.